Author Topic: Help finding a marriage  (Read 3145 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding a marriage
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 07:32 GMT (UK) »
More....
Why I think the Canon's Leigh connection is a little misleading is the fact I am almost certain Rebecca was baptized in Bideford. The Canon's Leigh connection comes through Rebecca's uncle, James Smyth, lawyer of London and Great Torrington. He purchased some or all of Canon's Leigh in the 1660's or 1670's. Whether Rebecca was living there with him, I don't know. He did make provisions in his will for his nephew Richard Smyth to live there if his own son didn't want to.
William Palmer (1669-1726) was the son of a William Palmer, according to his university record. A William Palmer of Broadclyst left a will in 1682, which ties in with our William being admitted to Cambridge as a sizar, which was a type of paid scholarship.
Hope this helps.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.