Author Topic: Help finding a marriage  (Read 3147 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Help finding a marriage
« on: Thursday 04 July 19 06:59 BST (UK) »
According to the 1847 edition of Burke's Landed Gentry, my ancestors William Palmer and Rebecca Smith were married 2 Sep 1698.
I cannot find any marriage or marriage licence (if there was one) at all. Such a specific date means there must be a record.
He was from Clyst Honiton, and had become vicar of Clyst Hydon; she is described in Burke's as of Canonsleigh.
I have checked all three locations (Canonsleigh is in Burlescombe parish).
Can anyone find this marriage please? Any assistance greatly appreciated.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding a marriage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 July 19 17:44 BST (UK) »
Burke says that William Palmer was rector at Combe Raleigh, Devon. Maybe that's where he married?

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 July 19 03:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.
William was rector at Clyst Hydon before Combe Raleigh. I have checked there as well though. I have also looked in Clyst Honiton and Burlescombe, the parish of Canonsleigh.
There was a Smith/Smyth family connected with both Canonsleigh and Torrington, so I have also checked Torrington records.
It's a mystery.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 06:53 BST (UK) »
Further information has come to light.
Apparently William Palmer was not in fact vicar, despite him signing the registers as curate. My knowledge of church titles is sparse at best.
According to a document dated 1716 in the Devon Archives, Rebecca Palmer  was the sister-in-law of the previous vicar. In 1716 it was Francis Huyshe, and previous to him wss Elijah Dene.
Elijah Dene was married twice, firstly to Rebecca Huyshe, who was the aunt of Frncis Huyshe. Secondly he married a Mary, who at this stage I have to assume is Rebecca Smith Palmer's sister.
So can anyone help with finding a marriage of Elijah Dene and Mary please? This could help me pinpoint Rebecca Smith who remains elusive.
Many thanks in advance.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 21:00 BST (UK) »
Rebecca was buried 27 July 1670 in Clyst Hydon

same parish
Humphrey the son of Elijah Dene Rector of this parish was baptised October 18 1675

Mary wife of Mr Elijah Dene Rector buried 29 Sept 1701

Mr Elijah Dene the late Rector of this parish was buried 23 May 1703

So marriage between 1670 & 1675
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 July 19 01:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you osprey.
There were other children as well, and I think the marriage was between 1670 and 1673.
Supposedly there were children in Elijah's first marriage as well, but I've never been able to find any.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 July 19 09:25 BST (UK) »
I gave that baptism to show he had married by that time. What was the name of the child born in 1673? There's no baptism in Clyst Hydon so may have been baptised in mother's parish or in Elijah's previous parish. No baptisms to the previous marriage either in the parish.

Burke's Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland gives the marriage to Rebecca at Sidbury 6 June 1663 or 1664. The register and bts for then do not appear to have survived.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/Sidbury#ChurchRecords
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 July 19 00:30 BST (UK) »
My apologies, osprey.
You are correct. I should have checked my notes instead of relying on memory.
Humphrey was the first child baptised in 1675, according to familysearch.
And given that is the name of Elijah's father, I can't help wonder if there were no children in the first marriage, or at least only daughters.
If Sidbury's registers haven't survived, that could explain why I can't find any baptisms for the first marriage.
It still leaves the mystery of two missing marriages, Elijah Dene and Mary, William Palmer and Rebecca.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 July 19 01:35 BST (UK) »
So if the information from Burke is correct, and Rebecca Smith was from Canonsleigh (at least by the time of her marriage), I have found that a Mr. Smith purchased Canonsleigh from the Culme family in 1658.