Author Topic: Service Records for the Royal Engineers, 1891  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Service Records for the Royal Engineers, 1891
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 16 July 23 15:19 BST (UK) »

I’ve just looked on the GRO Website and it seem as though you can’t order PDF’s for Marriages? Just for Birth and Deaths, is that right?

Romilly
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 16 July 23 16:41 BST (UK) »

I'm not sure that the PDFs would give you the original signature  :-\

I think you would really need to get the original(s) from the local office (s)

Just checked re PDFs:

PDFs for historic digitised civil registration records held by GRO (birth entries from 1837 to up to 100 years ago and death entries from 1837 to 1957).

PS - I've managed to get copies of original entries when the couple married in  C of E. 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 16 July 23 16:48 BST (UK) »
It’s frustrating that some PR Marriages are available on FindMyPast and others aren’t.

The Marriage Certificate for William James Wilson and Margaret Rees, with original signatures, is definitely on there, although I had it anyway.

But I can’t see one for Richard Kean and MaryAnn Young in September 1880in Chorlton. GRO Ref: 8c 1062.

Perhaps it’s because it was a RC Marriage?
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 July 23 17:29 BST (UK) »
I looked for a signature on the 1886 militia attestation....but it is unsigned!
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 16 July 23 17:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking Shaun,

I do have a copy of the signature; which I posted on here a few years back, but people thought it was the signature of his father, Richard Kean, senior. I’ll see if I can find it.

I’m looking at Richard Kean , number 254993 Royal Engineers.  I think that he was in the RASC MT,  motor transport and they were in Mesopotamia during WW1 and came back in 1918.  There is a pencilled O on his record which probably means overseas.

If this is the same Richard Kean who’s a Sapper in the Royal Engineers on the 1891 Census at Cheriton Barracks, Kent, - then I can probably rule him out as my Grandfather.

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 16 July 23 18:21 BST (UK) »

This is Richard Kean;s signature on the 1886 Manchester Regiiment Attestation Papers.

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 16 July 23 18:53 BST (UK) »
difficult to tell if signatures same as very different names
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 16 July 23 19:09 BST (UK) »
On the 1911 Census for Swansea my Grandfather writes his third son’s name, Richard Wilson…

I was  just looking at the way he writes Richard.

Researching:

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 16 July 23 19:54 BST (UK) »
This is Richard Kean;s signature on the 1886 Manchester Regiiment Attestation Papers.

There are no Richard Kean signatures there:  the two "Signature of Recruit" lines are completely blank. Those are the only bits the recruit would complete so perhaps he did not proceed with the attestation. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk