Author Topic: Searching for a person who changed their name  (Read 1569 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for a person who changed their name
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 July 19 17:21 BST (UK) »
'Red Herring' or not, it will be worth investigating. As I've been taking a [long] break from family research I'm not enrolled in any of the websites offering access to official records. I'll be going to the library tomorrow to work from there, and the 1939 will be my first enquiry.

DNA test also an interesting suggestion.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 July 19 17:58 BST (UK) »
... noting the BMD record as 'born March Q 1896'. His birth certificate is as stated in my previous post. I suppose his birth was not registered until the January of 1896.

The GRO index does not say he was born March qtr 1896, that is when the birth was registered.  As he was born 21 December it is common for births around Christmas /New Year not to be registered in the appropriate quarter.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 July 19 22:00 BST (UK) »
Free index to 1939 says that a Harry Kershaw, born 1894, is in the household with Jack.
Birth of a likely Harry Kershaw was registered March 1894, Oldham, mother Ayton. Parents seem to be Arthur and Emma.
Harry had an older brother Walter, who married Lily Bridge, 10 June 1911, image on FamilySearch
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-8965-FH3Y?i=515

Walter seems to have died in 1931 age 41, registered in March quarter, Oldham, 8d 1445
Probate for Walter, died 8 March 1931, one of the administrators was Harry Kershaw, carter
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=kershaw&yearOfDeath=1931&page=2#calendar

Wife Lily may have died at the same time as there is a death of a Lily Kershaw age 42 in Oldham on 8d 1444 (but a lot of Kershaws there!)

There is a birth of a Jack Kershaw, mother Bridge, March qtr 1920, Oldham. Possibly could be the chap who died in 1963, age 43.
So a worry is that it might be Harry's nephew with him in 1939 :-\

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 July 19 22:31 BST (UK) »
Have you eliminated Chris Buckley, 26, father Charles, married Mary Horsfall, 3 June 1922, at Whitworth St Bartholomew?

A postem on FreeBMD says "These are my father's parents. Chris disappeared around 1932. If anyone knows anything of his life after 1932, I should be grateful to hear."

Oh dear! :-[
I have posted before on my so far fruitless search for my paternal grandfather who went off-radar in 1932.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 July 19 22:45 BST (UK) »
Just a thought, but I couldn't find a birth registration for my grandfather's brother, known as Harry, who was also listed on census info as Harry!  Eventually, about 2 or 3 years later, I remembered that Harry is a shortened form of the name Henry! I changed the search for his birth record to using the name Henry, so it might be worth your while to change your search using that name instead of the name Harry.

Added - when I eventually found his marriage record, his name was recorded as Henry! 👍

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 July 19 15:09 BST (UK) »
Apologies for having taken so long to respond to recent replies (for which I am most grateful). I've just returned from the library, having used their access to the 1939 register, following a suggestion made in this thread. There is, as far as I can see, no promising record that could refer to my paternal grandfather, Chriss Buckley. However, I am excited by the suggestion made here, that Chriss might have used Kershaw as an assumed name. I had already thought that he might have taken his mother's maiden name, Hunter, but I can see that Kershaw is a possibility worth pursuing. Kershaw was a surname important to this family: Chriss's paternal grandmother was Sarah Kershaw, and two of Chriss's siblings were given Kershaw as a middle name (Sarah and Tom). I don't think that the Kershaws so far examined by contributors to this thread are likely contenders, but I will be checking them out thoroughly in the next few days. An added complication here is that two quite independent pieces of family lore suggest that when Chriss left his wife and son, he went to Northern Ireland, to Limavady, to be precise. Whether he did, whether he stayed there ... who knows? And, of course, the 1939 record for Northern Ireland is not available online––apparently FOI requests can be made, but an address has to be specified. The search continues, and if any member has further suggestions for how to proceed I shall be grateful to try them. I have googled Kershaw and Limavady and found a couple of names: on Monday I'll try to contact the people concerned to ask if they know of a forebear who might, just might be Chriss ... thanks again to all who have contributed.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 July 19 15:51 BST (UK) »
That is a few steps forward, good luck

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 July 19 16:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Louisa M ... must leave no stone unturned!

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 July 19 16:27 BST (UK) »
No, keep beavering away, I am sure you will find something worthwhile
LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London