Author Topic: Catherine Gemmell  (Read 2042 times)

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine Gemmell
« on: Sunday 07 July 19 06:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am hoping for some help trying to locate parents of my GGGGrandmother, Catherine Gemmell, she married Alexander Marshall in Duns, 18 January 1832. Alex and Catherine's daughter Helen came to Tasmania in 1859 along with a sister and brother. Helen is my GGGrandmother, Helen adopted the name Helen McKenzie Marshall and married Sidney Marshall( no relative ), their first 2 children were Margaret and Ellen McKenzie Marshall. My theory is that Helen may have adopted her grandmothers surname, McKenzie. I can find a Robbert Gemmell who married Margaret McKenzie in Glasgow in January 1786, but Catherine was born in Midlothian according to later census returns. Any help greatly appreciated, is my theory way off?
Cheers
Craig

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Gemmell
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 July 19 09:28 BST (UK) »
This seems to be the 1832 marriage you refer to?

MARSHALL   ALEXANDER   AGNES GAMELS   18/01/1832   Duns

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 July 19 10:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry Colin, I may have unintentionally misled you by not reading my notes correctly, you are correct with that marriage. I estimated their marriage about 1832 given the birth date for the oldest child, the childrens birth all list her as Catherine  Gemmell , her death as Cath Gemmell and on a census as Catherine Gemmell born Midlothian
Cheers
Craig

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 July 19 12:26 BST (UK) »
Where were the family baptised, what were their names, where were they in which census, did Catherine die in Scotland and if it was after 1855 have you seen her death certificate? What were the names of the brother and sister who also went to Tasmania?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 July 19 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian, not 100% on the the eldest boys, I believe according to census they were born Dunse, middle child born in Leith and the two girls in Edinburgh. Unfortunately Catherine died in Scotland in 1849. Colin has pointed out the name and date of the marriage I identified, the Gamel could be a misspelled, but I couldn't make sense of Agnes, I haven't been able to trace a Agnes And Alexander Marshall.
Cheers
Craig

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 July 19 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hmmm. I see that Scotland's People has
Peter, baptised 6 August 1837
Helen, born 19 March, baptised 14 April 1839
Susan, born 24 December 1841, baptised 23 January 1842
David, born 31 July, baptised 1 September 1844
Peter in South Leith, the others in Nicholson Street Associate kirk ("Other Churches" section in SP).

And it seems that Catherine died in Melrose.

The 1841 census (FreeCEN transcription) has Alexr, 30; Catherine, 30; James, 5, born Ireland; Peter, 3; and Hellen 2, everyone but James born in Midlothian. However another transcription says James was also born in Midlothian so you have to check the original to see which one is correct.

In 1851 in Melrose: Alexander, 45, widower; Daniel, son, 18; James, son, 14; Peter, son, 12; Helen, daughter, 11. FreeCEN says that Alexander, Daniel and James were born in Dunse, Berwickshire, Peter in Leith and Helen in Edinburgh. Another transcription says that Alexander, Daniel and James were born in Roxburghshire, Peter and Helen in Midlothian. Again, you must check the original to see which is correct.

Digression - how the ***** can so-called transcriptions, which are supposed to be an accurate representation of what is on the identical original document, differ so significantly?  >:( And that's without trying the notoriously inaccurate Anc***** transcriptions.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 July 19 14:43 BST (UK) »
1851 SP is Berwick, Dunse
1841 SP all born Scotland except for James Ireland

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 July 19 14:54 BST (UK) »
Think I might take that up with the other so-called transcriber.

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 July 19 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,
just checked my notes and I found the eldest son of Alexander and Catherine, Daniel living with his grandmother Margaret (nee Leslie) in Dunse 1841, Margaret's husband Daniel died in 1829. Also there is Alexander's brothers, David and Daniel, and sister Mary, along with 3 other boys including Daniel
Cheers
Craig