Author Topic: Ralph Pearson - England, London, settled Australia  (Read 4315 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: RALPH PEARSON - BORN ENGLAND, LONDON, SETTLED AUSTRALIA
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 00:40 BST (UK) »
 :D  :D

Yes,  and now I have found an image of a certified copy of the NSW marriage registration.  1884/004793. Certified 6 May 2014.

8th May, 1884,  Deepwater
Ralph PEARSON, Bachelor, London, England and Eliza SEIB, Spinster, Ipswich, Queensland
(were) Married in the District of Glen Innes, According to the rites of the Wesleyan Church.

Ralph’s Usual Occupation was Laborer, he was aged 35, and his usual place of residence was Deepwater.  His father was John PEARSON, Labourer and his mother was Elizabeth -----  (a horizontal line indicating her maiden name was not recorded).   

Eliza’s Usual Occupation was Domestic, she was aged 25, and her usual place of residence was Deepwater.  Her father was John Adam SEIB, Carpenter, and her mother was Margaret ----- (maiden name not recorded).

The witnesses were George Jekyll and Ellen JEKYLL and the Reverend was Charles Edward BUTLER.   The particulars in Columns 5,7,9,10 were received from the Church Register no. 1686 and added to the NSW BDM registration 8 February 1946.  Two senior NSW BDM officials certified that addition to that registration.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 00:45 BST (UK) »
1884, there was no requirement for the clergy to record if either of the parents of the bride or groom were already deceased.   

I see that there were two births registered to the couple in NSW,  one in 1885,  Tenterfield district and one in 1886, Queanbeyan ....

I will see if I have any local history info around either Pearson or Seib.

Have you searched the NSW Archives for arrival of Ralph?

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/immigration-shipping-guide - with live links to many resources.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 01:10 BST (UK) »
Resumption of Biarra land in Qld in 1889.

Qld Government Gazette 1889  - sorry, I cannot figure out the page number or exact date for this.

Book of Reference of Road through selection 5961 and Agricultural Farm No. 794, Ipswich District, Intended to be Proclaimed as a Public Road,  County of Cavendish, Parish of Biarra...

Ref no. 1 ....  (it is for Selection 5961, John NOONAN, Freehold)

Ref no. 2,
Description of Road : Westerly along and within the entire south boundary of portion 49v.
No. of Portion :  49v
No. of Selection : A.F. 794
How Held :  Agricultural Farm 1884 Act
Reputed Owner : Ralph Pearson
Bearings  270o 0'
Lengths :  32 (Chs. - Chains)  30 (Links)
Breadth of Road :  100 Links
Area : 3 A (Acres) 1 R (Rood) 0 P (Perch) 
Remarks  : 4 acres 3 roods reserved for road purposes.

JM

Offline Lorraine Katherine

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 01:50 BST (UK) »
I'm sure you've found him

1871 English Census
https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1871&indiv=try&h=11939713
Ralph Shelton is living with his spouse Mrs S Shelton at 181 Portland Road
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-london/vol37/pp340-355
Portland Road is in Notting Hill, Notting Dale
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Road,_Notting_Hill

Ralph is a labourer
Mrs S Shelton is a charwoman

Ralph born Hammersmith and Mrs S Shelton born Hammersmith are sharing home with other families, including other Sheltons

Unable to find a 1869 /1870 /1871 marriage for Ralph and Mrs S Shelton unless a common law marriage

Unable to find Ralph and Mrs S Shelton / children in the 1881 census - did Mrs S Shelton die, did their children die?

Ralph obviously wanted to remember his time here calling his Australia home Notting Dale, so doesn't seem likely he abandoned his wife (and children)?

Did he change his name to be able to forget unhappy memories/trauma or an unreported criminal offence

https://www.silchesterestate.org.uk/about-us/notting-dale-history/

https://www.theundergroundmap.com/wp/notting-hill-in-bygone-days-kensington-park/

Charles Booth Survey
https://booth.lse.ac.uk/map/16/-0.2101/51.5098/100/0?marker=524308.0,180503.0
Poor end of Portland Road

Portland Road was built to segregate the classes in Kensington

In Norwood near Crystal Palace, London an actual wall was built in Victorian times to divide the lower working class and higher middle class, H G Wells lived nearby in Bromley, Kent at that time so suggested to H G Wells Society it could have given him idea for his story The Time Machine where the classes are divided and become different species - wish I could find the articles considered very shameful now and that local history being 'buried'.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 01:52 BST (UK) »
Queensland Govt Gazette 1890 page 650
Crown Lands Acts 1884 to 1889 Ipswich District …  Agricultural Farms    (notice the register No. and the Portion No and of course, the Parish).   Likely Ralph, Eliza and the children were there by 1 Jan 1888.

Register No.  794: PEARSON, Ralph, 
Portion No. 49
Parish or Resumption : Biarra
Commencement of Term : 1-1-88  (1 January 1888)
Area : 160 A, 0 R,  O P.    so 160 Acres.
Year :  3rd
Rent : £2 /0 /0 
Survey Fees & c : £1/16/5  (one pound, 16 shillings and five pence).

Red Post   Question :  What Queensland document gives you 'Notting Dale'  :)

JM

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 01:56 BST (UK) »
A baptism for John Ralph Shilton, at Hammersmith, 19 Jan 1849, son of John and Elizabeth.
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 02:00 BST (UK) »
Queensland Govt Gazette 1890 page 650
Crown Lands Acts 1884 to 1889 Ipswich District …  Agricultural Farms    (notice the register No. and the Portion No and of course, the Parish).   Likely Ralph, Eliza and the children were there by 1 Jan 1888.

Register No.  794: PEARSON, Ralph, 
Portion No. 49
Parish or Resumption : Biarra
Commencement of Term : 1-1-88  (1 January 1888)
Area : 160 A, 0 R,  O P.    so 160 Acres.
Year :  3rd
Rent : £2 /0 /0 
Survey Fees & c : £1/16/5  (one pound, 16 shillings and five pence).

Red Post   Question :  What Queensland document gives you 'Notting Dale'  :)

JM

There is no 'document' that mentions Notting Dale - was literally the house name, just as my address is Little House

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 02:06 BST (UK) »
Found it!

John Ralph Shelton married Sarah Coleman in 1868 Kensington

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 02:07 BST (UK) »
A baptism for John Ralph Shilton, at Hammersmith, 19 Jan 1849, son of John and Elizabeth.

:)  that's a possible  :)   but we do need to remember that the information on a Queensland d.c. is only as reliable as the informant's own knowledge.  Ralph PEARSON died 1920.  It is likely his wife would be the informant.  She was the executrix of the deceased estate.    Her  name in the Probate notice was Eva PEARSON, aka Eliza PEARSON

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/20417082 Brisbane Courier, 21 August 1920.

Are we sure that this is our OP's Ralph?  Coolabunia is a fair way from Ipswich....

JM