Author Topic: George Kilgour of Dundee and New Zealand  (Read 839 times)

Offline b1gf00t

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Kilgour of Dundee and New Zealand
« on: Wednesday 10 July 19 09:23 BST (UK) »
I am currently updating some information regarding the Kilgour family here in New Zealand. There are two scenarios here. On one hand there is the suggestion that he was born at sea on a ship "Africa" in 1860 en route to New Zealand, but on the other hand, I have a copy of the marriage register which states he was born in Dundee. The marriage was in 1886 in New Zealand and he gives his age as 26 which does fit.

There is a complication in that his father, also named George, married in 1861 also in New Zealand apparently to his mother. I have searched for a ship "Africa" but the closest I can get is "African." At this point, I am up against a brick wall. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: George Kilgour of Dundee and New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 09:50 BST (UK) »
Did his mother have a name? If he was born in Scotland after 1855 and before his parents' marriage, the birth would have been registered in his mother's name and may or may not have also been registered as Kilgour.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 13:51 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage 1861 New Zealand
George Kilgour
Elizabeth Clarke

Seen this record on www.familysearch.org
Immigration record arrival 11 July 1859 Lyttelton Canterbury New Zealand ship Cameo
George Kilgour age 24 place Forfar occupation ploughman ( single )

Rosie

Offline b1gf00t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 July 19 09:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks, folks. I have made contact with a New Zealand relative and she has shared a couple of pieces of information which confirm that the George I am seeking information about is the son of George. So George Senior was possibly the ploughman referred to. It also seems as though George Junior was born before his parents were married. I think I will have to get some certificates to get clarification.

Regards
Barrie McBride

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 July 19 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hopefully when you get certificates it will help with the information you  looking for

Rosie  :)