Author Topic: Thomas and Sarah LAISTER  (Read 4515 times)

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas and Sarah LAISTER
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 August 05 04:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Darcy! Well, I've been busy.

I've managed to track down some old maps of the areas in question and have discovered that all the people come from around the same region, even though they appear in three separate counties.

The area in question is the top of Nottingham, on the border between Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - around the area of Misson.

In fact I've been able to trace the Laister family to Misson, Nottingham - back to 1693 so far.  Because I don't have a secondary source, like the census to double check on it becomes a little complicated, but its looking good so far.

I'm just updating my rootsweb database with my most recent entries.  I might use my nearly non-existent drawing skills to do a map of the areas I'm finding.  I'll post the links soon.

Thanks everyone for all your help.
(was 'spunkymungbeans') Price (Bristol), Pow (Scotland), Neilson (Scotland), Cooper (Yorkshire), Laister (Yorkshire/Nottingham/Lincolnshire)
Lookups:  NSW & Norfolk Musters to 1828; Rookwood Cemetery and Woronora Cemetery transcriptions and grave photographs - post at Australian Emigrants board

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 August 05 05:44 BST (UK) »
In relation to the Couch family I think the 1861 census is our best bet. 

It would appear that Emma married Mr Couch around the mid 1850's (just guessing) and Emily was born in 1861 so she might be in the census.

Emma Kezia Couch (nee Laister) was born in 1828 Attercliffe, York, England.   Thomas Lambert was born in 1838 Hooton Roberts, York, England.

I've found Thomas Lambert's christening in 1838 at Hooton Roberts and his parents names helped me find his death record at Parramatta, NSW, Australia in 1908.
(was 'spunkymungbeans') Price (Bristol), Pow (Scotland), Neilson (Scotland), Cooper (Yorkshire), Laister (Yorkshire/Nottingham/Lincolnshire)
Lookups:  NSW & Norfolk Musters to 1828; Rookwood Cemetery and Woronora Cemetery transcriptions and grave photographs - post at Australian Emigrants board

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 August 05 05:49 BST (UK) »

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 May 06 02:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who has helped me with this family.  I have a further query about this family:

628-12/6
Burringham
Thomas LAISTER 40 Farmer
Sarah 40 (NOT Lincs)
(various children)

Apparently in 1841 William Laister aged 75 a Farmer and his wife Elizabeth aged 70 (Thomas Laister’s mother and father) were also living in Burringham, Lincolnshire.  Could someone please provide a transcript of their entry, and see if either are still living in 1851?

As anyone in the area around Burringham would be related to this family could it be possible to say whether there are any other Laisters in town other than Thomas and William? 

Leonie

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 05 May 06 08:11 BST (UK) »
628-12/12
Burringham
William LAISTER 75 Farmer
Elizabeth 70
Sarah FOWLER 20
Mary FOWLER 20
All born Lincs

No other LAISTERs in Glanford Brigg District ... several in Gainsborough District (mainly Haxey area).
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 05 May 06 12:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Leonie