Author Topic: Ancestors of Priscilla Davies 1885-1971  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors of Priscilla Davies 1885-1971
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 July 19 05:47 BST (UK) »
Just to help - this should be an extract of 1861

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 July 19 05:54 BST (UK) »
In the 1871 this maybe her but the birth place is Bersham, Denbighshire which is 10 miles from Llangollen.

Mary Richards, born Bersham, Denbighshire 1852.  father  Ellis Richards.  mother  Mary Richards.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 July 19 06:13 BST (UK) »
The 1871 Mary is also in another 1861 so it may not be her. can I ask how you know that she was born in  Llangollen?

Offline Rabbit5479

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 July 19 03:23 BST (UK) »
Mary appears on Census 1881 RG11 2656 69 8 + 1891, 1901 & 1911 all born Llangollen. Marriage 1878 M Q Oswestry 6a 993 - FreeBMD gives Mary Richards or Mary Elizabeth Buckley. GRO gives children Clayton, Aubrey & Priscilla births mother Richards. So far so good, hopefully!

A moments panic however - checking for the above before I post, FindMyPast have transcribed the 1891 Census RG12 2117 112 4 with David (head/husband) as Davies with wife Mary and all children as 'Javier' when the actual entry for all is simply 'do'. The original that I had gone from is feint but clear. I've advised FindMyPast.
Barrie, Gross, Isaacs, Poznanski, Abrahams, Rogers, Davies, Jones

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 July 19 05:40 BST (UK) »
Interesting that own of the children was Clayton.   I noticed this Mary Richards in 1871 who is living with her uncle Thomas Clayton in Bryn Shropshire in the Reg District of Oswestry

Thomas Clayton 69 Widowed Grocer     Llanyblodwell, Shropshire
Mary Richards 19 Niece Housekeeper Llangollen, Denbighshire
Elizabeth Jones    14  Servant 

Kay

Added -In earlier census years Thomas Clayton's wife was Margaret b 1802 Manafon, Montgomeryshire and I think this is their marriage with Margaret's surname Richards https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NKCJ-2P2

Interesting that in 1861 Thomas and Margaret had a servant Jane Ann Richards born 1845 Llangollen that could well also be a niece of Margaret's. 

In 1851  I think  this is Jane Ann Richards and family ( living in Llantysilio, Denbighshire) with father Thomas Richards also born Maenafon, Montgomeryshire as Margaret Richards/Clayton   At the moment I can't see the family in1861 but note there is a 5 month old Mary Rikards/Richards!   Could  she be your Mary Richards??  :-\

Thomas Richards 44 Maenafon, Montgomeryshire   Fuller
Jane Richards    39 Eglws Fath, Cardiganshire
Josua Richards    17 Welshpool, Montgomeryshire
James Richards 15 Welshpool, Montomeryshire
Thomas Richards 11 Oswestry, Shropshire
John Richards    9 Llangollen, Denbighshire
Jane Ann Richards 7 Llangollen, Denbighshire
Margaret Richards 3 Llantysilio, Denbighshire
Mary Ricards 5 Months Llantysilio, Denbighshire

Offline Rabbit5479

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 11:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kay99. I've been through all FindMyPast Censuses for Mary Richards b1852+/-2 and eliminated all that really don't fit. The 1851 Thomas Richards family you mention seems by far the best fit with Mary age 0 born in Llantysilio. The father plus sons Joshua & James (15) are fullers ie workers in the wool trade. This brings me back to the 1862 Census found earlier with Mary 9 and brother James 22, a wool dyer. On this census Mary is shown born Llangollen so is a candidate. However the fact that the apparent parents, listed immediately above the two siblings (son & daut) have a different surname remains a problem. Yes the 'wife' could have remarried but she is Eliza and not Jane as in the 1851 Census. I fear a marriage cert for Mary is next step.
Barrie, Gross, Isaacs, Poznanski, Abrahams, Rogers, Davies, Jones

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 13:36 BST (UK) »
Completely agree the marriage cert for Mary. Do let us know  the result

Thomas Richards wife Jane had the maiden name Jones so I wonder if Mary and brother James were related on their mother's line to the couple they were with in 1861 and they were incorrectly listed as son and daughter

Kay