Author Topic: Marriage records for Leicestershire 1858  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage records for Leicestershire 1858
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 July 19 01:48 BST (UK) »
I did think I maybe need to start over and check back from my uncle Edward Ernest Bishop born 1897 to double check the information I collected a few years ago.

There is nothing wrong with the line back from Edward Ernest BISHOP to Thomas BISHOP and Mary Ann RODWELL, it is easy enough to find BMD and census records to support it.  It is just Thomas born c1837 that you have chosen the wrong family for.

Debra  :)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 15 July 19 01:58 BST (UK) »
I did think I maybe need to start over and check back from my uncle Edward Ernest Bishop born 1897 to double check the information I collected a few years ago.

There is nothing wrong with the line back from Edward Ernest BISHOP to Thomas BISHOP and Mary Ann RODWELL, it is easy enough to find BMD and census records to support it.  It is just Thomas born c1837 that you have chosen the wrong family for.

I agree, Debra.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 July 19 08:46 BST (UK) »
No being able to confirm how I came to the decision about Thomas or his parents has made me doubt the FT I put together years ago, so I feel better confirming it now to my satisfaction !

Interesting that I see other Bishop FT's with the same family members, from others on Ancestry having Ann Addy as the mother of Thomas - but then some also have Thomas Bishop married to Mary Ann Newton - which the 1861 census shows him as !   I already had marriage certificate and birth certificates to show his wife was Rodwell so did not make that mistake.

I don't think it is finally sorted, but then there is so much we can never know for sure in our family history research.

ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 July 19 12:37 BST (UK) »
Why not finally sorted?

We've established that 'your' Thomas Bishop was the son of John Bishop and Mary Lacey married 1835 Thurmaston - John Bishop bur.7/2/1841 Thurmaston (bc.1809-10) and I believe he was the John Bishop bp.12/6/1808 Thurmaston, son of Samuel and Mary.

Mary's brother John Lacey (whom your Thomas is with in 1851) was bc.1817 Belgrave and baptisms show bp.24/9/1816 Belgrave, son of William and Ann.   Mary herself bp.14/12/1812 Belgrave, dau. of William and Ann. 

Mary Bishop, nee Lacey, was buried at Thurmaston 10/10/1842 aged 29 - her youngest child Mary Ann Bishop also buried at Thurmaston 26/2/1842.   This explains why Thomas Bishop was living with his uncle John Lacey in 1851 with his parents and siblings all dead.  Poor lad!

Ignore the wrong trees on ancestry - always just stick to the 'facts' which has been done in this instance as you have marriage and birth certificates showing that your Thomas is definitely the one who married Mary Ann Rodwell, son of John, and that he himself was born from the lawful union of John Bishop and Mary Lacey married 1835.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 July 19 13:36 BST (UK) »
Not sorted to my satisfaction - yet - because I haven't had chance to look at all the information supplied here -  some of which is new to me  !   I am sure everyone would agree, you do not just accept  details given without checking the facts oneself.    I feel you have to 'own them' yourself to feel happy with your FT.

I have  'siblings' to my Thomas Bishop  -  James (1826) / Eliza (1828)  /  John (1831) and the respective partners who they married, which I have to check they are not still his siblings, and then let them go ! 

The information given to me here has been great  -  but then 99% of the time it is on this site  -  and there will be a lot to discuss with this new Bishop contact when we meet.  I have time before we do to sort it out, type it up and get familiar with the new Bishop relationships.

So thank you everyone.

Now perhaps,  can I have help with my Twist family  ...... My Salmon family ........    My Layton family !!   Only been doing FH for 45 years and still so many unanswered questions.   

ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 15 July 19 13:39 BST (UK) »
I already had marriage certificate and birth certificates to show his wife was Rodwell so did not make that mistake.

Sometimes it doesn't make any difference.  I see a tree on Ancestry with a scan of the birth certificate of John Thomas born 1858 which clearly states that his mother was Mary Ann BISHOP formerly RODWELL, and yet they have entered Mary Ann NEWTON as his mother.  ::)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 July 19 10:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much again to everyone who helped me with the Bishop family identification.  I have now had time to look at the information supplied and see how it fits in etc.   I would never have found these details myself I am sure.   
How very sad for Thomas and his family !
I sent for the death certificates for John and wife Mary and they give the Informant for John as Edward Bishop,  brother.  The Informant for Mary being Henry Lacey, unfortunately no relationship indication, but maybe brother.
I have another request now, to see if anyone can identify the cause of death for John.  Mary died of consumption, and  for John it looks something like Tubercle of ? larynx ? lung, so I am presuming again consumption ?