Author Topic: 'Comedian in a music hall'  (Read 1706 times)

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'Comedian in a music hall'
« on: Monday 15 July 19 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I've just discovered my 4x great uncle Arthur Hannah was a comedian in a music hall. He was born in 1865 in England but his entire family were born in Scotland and that's where he was raised, in and around Cowcadden Street in Lanark. His older brother is listed as a 'professional (music hall)' in 1881 census and then in the 1891 census Arthur lists himself as a 'comedian in a music hall'. Sadly, he died just two years later in November 1893 of tb and on his cert he is listed as a comedian.

I was wondering where I could find info on Robert and Arthur and their careers in the music halls.

Also, in the 1891 census Arthur is living as a boarder with a woman he claims is his wife - Sarah. They do eventually get married, in 1893 when he's on his death bed. I wonder why they were saying they were married two years before they actually did get married?
Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: 'Comedian in a music hall'
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 July 19 01:31 BST (UK) »
There is a Robert HANNAH and Arthur HANNAH mentioned in an article about a raid on a Glasgow Club in 1886. It is a very long article so won't transcribe it - if you'd like a copy pm me.  ;)
Glasgow Herald. (Oct. 6, 1886)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 July 19 02:18 BST (UK) »
Also an "A HANNAH' of Cowcaddens St donating £1 to an unemployment relief fund in 1879 -
Glasgow Herald. (Feb. 1, 1879)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 July 19 09:21 BST (UK) »
There are several newpaper references to Arthur Hanna, comedian. He often appears on the same bill as Bob Hennis, a pedestal dancer. Bob Hennis "late of the Moore and Burgess Minstrels" is reported as having died of consumption on 24 December 1893. Might that be Robert?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 July 19 09:33 BST (UK) »
One of Glasgow's music halls still survives,  ;D

https://www.britanniapanopticon.org/

Skoosh.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 July 19 10:24 BST (UK) »
When I had a subscription to British newspaper archive, I occasionally came across a theatrical publication called The Era. It was fascinating reading.  Artists announced their forthcoming engagements, also their availability for bookings, and other ephemera relating to the industry.

Martin

Offline rll2000

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 August 19 19:33 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find information about Rachel HANNAH 1893 who married Walter LAYDER in Bedford in 1914. Her father was comedian Robert HANNAH. Do you have any further details of this HANNAH family?

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 August 19 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Well my Hannah family come from Scotland. Our Robert was born on 9 April 1862 to Arthur Hannah and Rosanna Boland. In the 1881 census Robert was recorded as 'professional in music hall.' He and his brother Arthur traveled to England and worked there for a good few years.

Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 August 19 16:46 BST (UK) »
In addition to The Era, the British Newspaper Archive and Find My Past also have The Stage.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.