Author Topic: 78th Highland Regiment presentation, 1830-39  (Read 299 times)

Offline woodstockaus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
78th Highland Regiment presentation, 1830-39
« on: Monday 15 July 19 08:00 BST (UK) »
I have inherited a military collectable and I’m trying to find out how it came into our family. Based on its engraving, it was presented by Major General Need to someone from the 78th Highland Regiment, sometime between 1830 and 1839. I assume that the recipient would have been an officer, since the presentation was made by such a senior figure.

There are two Scots lines in my family:

(1)   Charles John GRAY married Hester Rosetta SLACK in Paignton, Devon on 8 Nov 1883; according to the marriage record at https://www.findmypast.com.au/transcript?id= GBPRS/DEV/MAR/150524/2 he was the son of Charles John GRAY Esq. of Forfar N.B. I haven’t been able to find out anything about Charles Snr or any siblings he may have had.

(2)   John James MACGREGOR (c1723-c1798) served in the Black Watch from 1740-46 and then retired when they were in barracks in Limerick, Ireland. He stayed in Limerick where he married and had 17 children; 3 of these survived to adulthood. The youngest, John James MACGREGOR (1775-1834), became an author and had two children who survived to adulthood, but neither of them served in the military.  I’m wondering if John Jnr might have had a nephew who joined the 78th (in which case the surname might be different, if the connection was through a sister).

I’m in Australia, so it’s difficult to chase British records. Any help would be much appreciated.
GAUNT, London & Melbourne
SPILLANE, Limerick & Melbourne