Author Topic: Regiment identification - maybe post WWII  (Read 704 times)

Offline Alreetkidda

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Regiment identification - maybe post WWII
« on: Tuesday 16 July 19 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I am looking for identification of the regiment of Norman Burdon from Durham. I am unable to find any information on Ancestry. I do not know his date of birth but it will be from the 1920's to early 1930's. Mothers name Burdon. She was Violet Burdon who married Arthur Bell in 1929. He had a brother called Derek Arthur Bell, so I do not know if he had his mothers name being born out of wedlock? I am guessing that his military career may have been after WWII. He was a second lieutenant - 2Lt. There is a patch on the top of his arm which looks like a circle, but I have not found anything that matches. His belt looks leather, but does not look like a Sam Browne belt as it does not appear to have a shoulder strap and has only one prong on the belt instead of two.
Burdon - Durham
Marley - Durham
Anderson - Durham

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Regiment identification - maybe post WWII
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 23:06 BST (UK) »
Births Dec 1918
Burdon    Norman   MMN Burdon in Lanchester.. Could this be him?
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 09:23 BST (UK) »
Photo 3 has no detail that I can make out at all. Could you post something not quite so closely zoomed?

His collar badges are either Royal Artillery or Royal Engineers but the distinction is difficult to see on these pics. He is not wearing an officer's uniform here.

There is a commissioning notice in the London Gazette for a Geoffrey Norman Burton in the RA commissioned from the ranks as 2 Lt on 28 Jan 1940 - could that be him?

MaxD-
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Alreetkidda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 July 19 12:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hepburn. That is a possibility. I will need to look further.

I spoke with his brothers daughter and she said it is something that the family never spoke about.

MaxD
I believe that he was in the Royal Artillery but wanted confirmation via the photograph. The photograph is on a postcard but there is no writing apart from what is printed on it which is Post Card, its French translation Carte Postale and Kodak.

Thank you both for your help..
Burdon - Durham
Marley - Durham
Anderson - Durham

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 July 19 20:46 BST (UK) »
The uniform is WW1 rather than WW2.  The collar badges were not worn during the war so possibly 1919-20?  The leather belt is not usual.