Author Topic: Searching for John and Alexander Baillie, Newtown Stewart or nearby  (Read 1290 times)

Offline BobofScots

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for John and Alexander Baillie, Newtown Stewart or nearby
« on: Wednesday 17 July 19 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I received a few leads years ago and thought maybe more ancestry data is more available now.
Here is what I have.
My Grandfather was John A. Baillie, born 1878 in Newton Stewart and died 1950 in Phila. Pa USA.  He was a stone carver

Great grandfather was Alexander Baillie.  Born 1852 in Newton Stewart.  Died 1899 in NJ USA  His wife was Helen Kelly and his occupation was a Stone carver

Next Generation:  John Baillie  Born Dec 22, 1809 in Penninghame.  Died 26 April 1875 in Newton Stewart.  He was a stone carver.  I'd like to find his grave location and any other information.  John's Wife was Margaret Bell Agnew

Next oldest Generation: Alexander Baillie.  Born about 1780 possibly in Ireland but I cannot be sure. He died on April 14, 1856 in Newton Stewart.  I believe he was a farmer with the Grange of Bladnoch. His wife was Jean or Jane Clark.  She was born about 1776 and died between 1841-51. Grave location and added detail if you can help.

Finally: Alexander Baillie.  Dates of birth,death and location are unknown.  His wife was Elizabeth McKie at least I believe it was.   

I would greatly appreciated any help that you can provide. Thank you very much.
Bob Baillie
Batavia, Ohio USA.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for John and Alexander Baillie, Newtown Stewart or nearby
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RC  :)

Next oldest Generation: Alexander Baillie.  Born about 1780 possibly in Ireland but I cannot be sure

https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/
1851 Census transcription -
Grange , Penninghame , Wigtownshire
Alex BAILIE 71 father widowed Agricultural Labourer , born Ireland

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline BobofScots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 11:38 BST (UK) »
Yes. That is him.  Thank you very much. Seems to confirm Ireland. 

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 12:57 BST (UK) »
Bailie/Baillie is a very common surname in Co Down. (There’s over 700 in the 1901 census of the county). Co Down is just a few miles away from Wigtownshire and many labourers from there went there for work in the 1800s. (The Baillie family probably originated in Scotland having gone to Ireland in the 1600s).
Elwyn

Offline hmcc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The death on Scotlands People for Alexander Bailley (76) 1856 at Penninghame gives mothers maiden name as McKie.
hmcc.