Author Topic: South Australia: Alexander Johnston  (Read 1315 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia: Alexander Johnston
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 July 19 02:51 BST (UK) »
A potential candidate is this AJ
"DIED.
June 27, at his residence, West-terrace, Alexander John-
ston, aged 44 years.
"
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article821043

The ages are close enough to bear looking twice at. He's in the GenealogySA Death index as Alexander Johnstone with an e but buried in the same grave at West Terrace Cemetery as a William Johnston died 19 Dec 1879 aged 66 years.

From Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885  Data needs validating as this index was compiled in 1986 and there are errors and omissions.

JOHNSTON Alexander (unmarried)
Parents Wm and Janet nee LOVE
Born 1815 Scotland Died 28 Jun 1860
Buried West Terrace Cemetery
Arrived 1838 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

The BUCKINGHAMSHIRE actually arrived in 1839
http://www.slsa.ha.sa.gov.au/BSA/1839Buckinghamshire.htm
and the JOHNSTON's on board were

JOHNSTON, William and wife Janet nee LOVE,
JOHNSTON, William (son of William)
JOHNSTON, Alexander (son of William)
JOHNSTON, James (son of William)
JOHNSTON, John (son of William)
JOHNSTON, Margaret (daughter of William)
JOHNSTON, Robert (son of William)
JOHNSTON, Andrew Galbraith (son of William)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 July 19 03:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have a Alexander Johnston that come over to South Australia in 1855 he was 37 years old.
He travelled with William and Alexander Savage (aged 16 and 15) and also Elizabeth and Jane Savage (aged 12 and 10).
From a family bible I suspect that Alexander Johnston was the Uncle of these 4 Savage children.
I suspect that the parents of the 4 children were William ROBERT Savage and Margaret Johnston therefore Alexander possibly the brother of Margaret Johnston. (the parents names are in the family bible)
When William Savage died near Woodside South Australia the witness on the death was a G.Johnston (C) and I have been told C was for cousin.  I have lots of Savage information but I can't find anything on the Johnston family, any help would be great, thank you.
cheers
Megan

Back to your request.....

I cannot see an Alexander JOHNSTON on the AGINCOURT in 1855 with the four SAVAGE children - Alexander, 15, William 16, Eliza 12 and Jane 10 years from Westmeath, Ireland.  There is an Alister JOHNSTON 37 from Westmeath Ireland on the passenger list.  This has been transcribed from the manifest however looking at a copy of the original it would appear the transcriber has made an error.
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/agincourt1855.shtml

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 July 19 03:20 BST (UK) »
Nothing more from BISA

JOHNSTON Alexander bornc1818 Westmeath Ireland   
Arrived 1855 AGINCOURT Occupation Labourer

Offline meggles

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 July 19 03:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone, I don't feel that the Alexander Johnstone buried at west terrace is who I am looking for.

I don't have any proof of connection between the Savage and Johnstone family except what is written in a family bible.

William Robert Savage who married Margaret Johnston is mentioned in the bible
then there is a Alexander Johnston mentioned  as well as some of the savage children's name's and birth dates (eg: Jane Savage born 1845)

I don't' have any marriage/birth  or deaths, so it is a bit hard to make a connection.

I thought if I could find the Alexander Johnston I could follow him and make a connection that way, or even the G. Johnstone  cousin that was a witness at the death of William Savage - but all the Johnston's (including name variants)  have not matched.

cheers
Harris - Denbury Devon
Wotton - Ideford Devon
Chamberlain - Kent
Burgess - Sussex
Savage - South Australia
Wilks - South Australia
Horrigan - South Australia
Hodgson - Lancashire
Martin - St Stithians, Cornwall
Mathers - Liverpool
Riley/Royle - Lancashire

Offline seeking0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 July 19 09:38 BST (UK) »
While there's no strong reason to think the West Terrace AJ is the one sought, I should point out that having arrived in 1938 isn't a strong reason to believe he isn't. I have two separate SA ancestors who made return visits to England for family reasons - one took his wife and young children with him while, and presumably because, his father was dying.
Unfortunately there's not enough information to confirm or deny. A tribute to some AJ, any AJ, mentioning a young Savage, would have been nice!

Offline seeking0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 July 19 10:03 BST (UK) »
Looking at the BISA entry for AJ I think it's quite likely they've conflated two different AJs and that the one who arrived in 1838 Buckinghamshire is not the one buried 1860 at West Terrace Cemetery (WTC). My reasoning is that the mother's maiden name was LOVE, and GenealogySA Death Index shows an Alexander Love Johnston died 1869. Of course the BISA has the father's first name as William, and the Death Index for ALoveJ has the father as Alexander.

BISA can be frustrating. Correct far too often to ignore, incorrect often enough to treat with even more scepticism than sources closer to first hand.

Basically I think would need more info either from the England end or the South Australia end.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 July 19 12:43 BST (UK) »
Looking at the BISA entry for AJ I think it's quite likely they've conflated two different AJs and that the one who arrived in 1838 Buckinghamshire is not the one buried 1860 at West Terrace Cemetery (WTC). My reasoning is that the mother's maiden name was LOVE, and GenealogySA Death Index shows an Alexander Love Johnston died 1869. Of course the BISA has the father's first name as William, and the Death Index for ALoveJ has the father as Alexander.

BISA can be frustrating. Correct far too often to ignore, incorrect often enough to treat with even more scepticism than sources closer to first hand.

Basically I think would need more info either from the England end or the South Australia end.

Alexander Love JOHNSTON who died in 1869 was one month old.

Offline seeking0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 July 19 13:24 BST (UK) »

Alexander Love JOHNSTON who died in 1869 was one month old.

That clears that up Cando. Thanks. Frustratingly I was at the State Library today for something else and actually looked at the Digger record for Alexander Johnston (nothing new) but not Alexander Love Johnston.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 July 19 14:08 BST (UK) »

Alexander JOHNSTON and his brother Wm and Wm's infant daughter, Agnes McKenzie JOHNSTON are interred at the same location at WTC.  A number of public online trees show the brothers to be the chn of Wm JOHNSTON and Janet LOVE who arrived on the BUCKINGHAMSHIRE in 1839.