Author Topic: HMS Badger World War 2  (Read 1840 times)

Offline vas2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HMS Badger World War 2
« on: Thursday 18 July 19 12:14 BST (UK) »
I've just received my fathers WW2 record from the Royal Marines, and it seems to be not quite as he reported to me (he's gone now, so I can't ask him!). 

He told me that he had been on the Bofor Guns on merchant ships protecting convoys in the North Sea, running up to Norway.  But his war record said that he spent the entire time on HMS Badger, which was the naval base in Harwich. So, did he step on to boats to man the guns when required by HMS Badger?  There's no mention of him being on any ship at all during the war and I would have expected to have seen a mention of a name somewhere. 

So I'm puzzled!  Anyone have any ideas?

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Badger World War 2
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 July 19 12:20 BST (UK) »
Your story rang a bell with me. I remember my late father telling me that his commanding officer was Prince Philip, but I have found nothing in prince Philips naval records for the late 1940s to support this. It would have been national service around about 1948. I can't find what Prince Philip was doing at the time.

Martin

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 July 19 13:46 BST (UK) »
HMS Badger was in all likelihood the accounting base where his pay and records were maintained.  The DEMS vessels didn't have a Royal Navy administrative set up (nor did many other classes of vessel) and often, frustratingly, the vessels a man served on don't get listed on his docs.

I don't think there is a way of determining which vessels he served on although there are a couple of Rootschatters much better versed in matters maritime than I who may advise further.

MaxD

Martin

1949 in Malta serving on HMS Chequers, that is when he and HMQ lived tghere for a couple of years.  Too late?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 July 19 13:58 BST (UK) »
Max, without paying £30 for my father's records, I'm not sure of the exact dates.  He was out by December 1950, aged 22.   I don't think my father ever actually went to sea.  I'm surprised that I have never found a detailed record of HRH's career.

Martin

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 July 19 14:20 BST (UK) »
This should help in answering some of your questions regarding HRH Prince Philip and his Naval career.

https://www.forces.net/news/how-prince-philip-has-earned-respect-british-military
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 July 19 19:27 BST (UK) »
For vas2, it is likely he was a DEMS gunner as suggested by Max. RN DEMS are difficult to research. The RN frustratingly often only mentioned shore bases on those records and these bases were where the gunner's pay and administration was held. You could go back to the MoD and ask for a search of his Pay & Victualing record which may or may not shed light on drafts to Merchant Navy ships. Merchant Navy Crew Agreements can be used to track your man but you need to know the name of a ship to start with, preferably one at the end of his service, as those MN lists usually name the previous ship which can be a good aid for researchers.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 July 19 20:57 BST (UK) »
I was hoping you would stop by Hugh, as valuable as ever.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline vas2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 July 19 12:41 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the helpful responses!