Author Topic: Families in the villages of West Cranmore, East Cranmore, Dean and Doulting.  (Read 6104 times)

AK

Am doing research on the villages listed as my HURLE ancestors came from these for hundreds of years. Have been told that there area number of other families from these places who go back for generations similarly. They were all inter married and am told examples include the Gane, Butt, Trotman and Hoddinot families.
Does anyone have information that might be of use please?

Offline Mal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Families in the villages of West Cranmore, East Cranmore, Dean and Doulting.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 August 05 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was brought up in West Cranmore in the 1960s 70s, and can remember the Hurle family, My grand father would often take me to visit a Mr and Mrs  Hurle who lived in Piers Cottage in Cranmore. Cant remember if it was Clifford or Maurice.

The Gane family used to live in the House that I was brought up in.

Jack Trotman was the local builder.

The Butt family lived in Waterlip.

I'll put my thinking cap on for you.

Malcolm

Somerset -- Lay, Rabbitts, Button, Cornick, Hawkins, Hillier, Hopes, Huntley, Applegate, Ashman, West
Wiltshire -- Lay, Applegate, Cornick, Barlow, Eyles, Sawyer
Kent -- Brightman
Middlesex -- Wakely
Dorset -- Wakely, Hillier

AK

Re: Families in the villages of West Cranmore, East Cranmore, Dean and Doulting.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 November 05 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Malcolm,
Thanks for this.
Have heard of Maurice Hurle, also Emrys.

Have met Donald Hurle who is son of Leslie. They lived at Mill Marsh farm in Waterlip.
My grandfather's sister ran a tearoom at the lodge on the Cranmore estate. Her name was Frances Hills (nee Hurle). Do you remember her? She lived until she was 98 years of age.
My gt grandfather was Elijah Hurle and there is a plaque up to him in the Weslayan Chapel at Dean.
The Trotman family was married into the Hurles. Believe the Ganes were too.
Believe that there are still Hurle relations in the village and Joyce Brock is still there.
Have you read the (excellent ) book by M ary de Viggiani, called the ''Cranmore Chronicle''?
Pleased to hear from you and thanks once again.

Linda.

Offline fozzy10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 December 13 12:41 GMT (UK) »
my great grandmother was born in Waterlip hamlet in 1870 Mary Jane Webb daughter of William Webb born 1818 and of France Webb nee Parfitt born 1828.
Although I can find her on the 1871 census the actual property she lived in isn't clear as its just listed as Waterlip cottages.
Does anyone know how I could find out the actual building please?
I presume it is proabably either long gone or is now part of a larger  property/conversion.
Ian Foster
Webb
Crawforth
Merritt
Pantry
Broxham
mcphee

Offline Lidfam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 December 13 20:01 GMT (UK) »
my great grandmother was born in Waterlip hamlet in 1870 Mary Jane Webb daughter of William Webb born 1818 and of France Webb nee Parfitt born 1828.
Although I can find her on the 1871 census the actual property she lived in isn't clear as its just listed as Waterlip cottages.
Does anyone know how I could find out the actual building please?
I presume it is proabably either long gone or is now part of a larger  property/conversion.
Ian Foster

It seems fairly certain that Waterlip cottages are still standing today. Taken from the excellent book "A Cranmore Chronical "  is this.  "Waterlip Almshouses were built by Edward Strode of Dean in 1699. In later years they were used as farm cottages and nowadays are in private occupation."
There is also a photograph of the cottages.

Dale

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 December 13 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ian,

I think that some of my relations lived in Waterlip Cottages. From recollection, I have photos of them there. I will check to see.

I think that Waterlip Cottages are there today. The last time I was about that area, Waterlip was little changed from years ago. I know a relative lived at Waterlip Farm.

I have Parfitt in my tree.

I am in a rush right now but will see what I can find on this.

Jo

Offline fozzy10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 December 13 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply and, any information would be really appreciated I also have quite a lot of family tree information that may be of help to you as well
Ian Foster
Webb
Crawforth
Merritt
Pantry
Broxham
mcphee

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 December 13 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ian,

Thanks for your offer of information.

I have some knowledge of Nunney as there were ancestors who lived there too. I am related to the Trotman family, amongst others.

My relative, who is still living, was at Millmarsh Farm, Waterlip. Not Waterlip farm as I thought. The last time I passed through Waterlip, the cottages were there.

Jo.

Offline Boreades

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 April 24 20:16 BST (UK) »
There are definitely some hot-spots for generations of Hurle names in villages on the Somerset/Wiltshire border. Besides West Cranmore and East Cranmore, I've found loads in Bishopstow, Bratton, Edington, Frome, Heytesbury, Kingston Deverill, North Bradley, Stourton, Sutton Veny and Warminster.

"My lot" of Hurles came from Kingston Deverill.

There are 248 Hurle names listed on WikiTree.

https://www.wikitree.com/index.php?title=Special:SearchPerson&wpSearch=1&wpLast=HURLE

It looks like some Hurle moved to London, other emigrated to places like Australia and New Zealand.