Author Topic: Gro certificates  (Read 1926 times)

Offline ju123321

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gro certificates
« on: Friday 19 July 19 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I’d really like as many birth, marriages and death certificates from my ancestors as I can find.  I understand I can buy them from gro but they are nearly £10 each (so £30 for each ancestor!) is there any website that has these listed? I don’t mind paying for a subscription if there’s a chance in the long run it will be cheaper.

I’ve tried ancestry.co.uk before, but I think I took all the information I could from it, and the information is only there if others have already inputted it.

Thanks so much

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gro certificates
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 July 19 10:24 BST (UK) »
You may be able to obtain marriage entries from parish records - always good to have as they will show original signatures  :).  Source will depend on the location - if we're talking England and Wales then FindMyPast and Ancestry have a fair coverage of C of E records.

If you could give us an idea of location then perhaps we can help  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline ju123321

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 July 19 10:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks.

Mainly my family seem to be in the Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire area.

I found ancestry a bit scary as it seems to suggest your ancestors with little information to link one generation to another.

I’ve done a fair bit of research and I’m about it 1870’s for all four strands of my family so I don’t know if documents become harder to find from that point?

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 July 19 11:03 BST (UK) »
Registration of BMDs started part way through 1837 so you can get certs. to then.

Census started in 1841 as we know them.
GEDmatch M157477

Online CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 July 19 11:16 BST (UK) »
I’d really like as many birth, marriages and death certificates from my ancestors as I can find.  I understand I can buy them from gro but they are nearly £10 each (so £30 for each ancestor!) is there any website that has these listed? I don’t mind paying for a subscription if there’s a chance in the long run it will be cheaper.

I hate to tell you this, but GRO are now charging £11 for paper certificates and there's an extra charge if you don't supply their reference :(

Birth and death certificates are also available from GRO as PDF copies for £7 for births up to 1918 and deaths up to 1957 - you have to supply their reference to order these.  They come as downloads and show all the information without the full official wording of a certificate.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 July 19 11:28 BST (UK) »

A word of caution, - make sure that you're absolutely certain of your facts before ordering an on-line PDF Cert from the GRO, - as you can't cancell them.

I ordered a Birth Cert one last week, - realised the same evening that I'd found the man on the 1911 Census, and so he wasn't my Grandfather. Even though I filled out a cancellation form straight away, - they won't cancell, but just send the PDF.

And so, in the (Unlikely) event that anyone on here is looking for a PDF Birth Cert for William Kean Wilson, Born Ulverston, Lancs in 1860, - I will be pleased to pass it on!

Romilly :)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 July 19 13:54 BST (UK) »
If you want to collect BMD certs. as keepsakes then it is going to be very expensive.
If you want them for research then there are other avenues to pursue first.
Some have already been mentioned.
The general rule is to get as much info FOC before buying anything.
I would be cautious of believing on-line trees including Ancestry unless there is proof as many are wrong. Just because there are lots of trees on there with the same information doesn't make them right. It just means they've all been copied from the same (wrong) original source.
3 free sites commonly used are IGI, FreeReg & this site.
We can't supply certs. but can guide you in the right direction if needed so you don't have to buy them unless necessary.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 July 19 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I’ve tried ancestry.co.uk before, but I think I took all the information I could from it, and the information is only there if others have already inputted it.

Thanks so much

It won't cheer you up but family history research has never been easier or cheaper than it is today

There are a number of ways to sometimes get round the cost of some certificates, but in other cases if you want them you will have to pay.
It depends what period of time you are looking for and what area of the country.

If the event is recent you can visit the local Registrar and view the current birth, marriage or death register, but in most cases the open register will be too recent for most people.

Parish Registers in the main record Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, but the law requires them to record Births and Deaths, some Vicars etc. obey the law most do not.

Marriages in a church may be viewed in the Parish Register and often form a cheap or even free way to access the information.

There are other ways round gathering the information but most people accept their hobby (no matter what it is) comes with a cost. ;)

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 July 19 16:07 BST (UK) »
Another option would be to take out a short-term subscription to either the British Newspaper Archive website or Find My Past to check newspapers for Birth, Marriage and Death notices. (With Find My Past, you have to make sure the subscription package includes the newspapers, because some don't.)

It all depends on the family, time frame and availability of the right newspapers: I've had luck with some families and no luck with others. But, if you're lucky, it could save you some money. You could check their coverage in your areas of interest before signing up.

Both websites have the same newspapers but each has a different search engine, so results may vary. I use as many spelling variants and search terms as I can dream up.

Good luck in your search!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters