Author Topic: John Taylor b abt 1810 - 1877 India H.E.I.C.S  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Lizw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Taylor b abt 1810 - 1877 India H.E.I.C.S
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 July 19 11:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you yes I did find those - what an interesting life he had

I should point out Sarah Speedys memoirs claim she met Col John Graham when her family travelled to Africa 1826-27 and that she helped him survey what would become Grahamstown, but this cannot be correct as Col John Graham died in 1821 and he had established Grahamstown in 1812. Sarah Speedy was not born until 1818.
Stephens Brunton Thomson Taylor Graham Alves Ferrie Helmore Pember Reeves Mills Prestney Bundy Young Stewart Knipe Wright Libeau Coopey Blogg Keith

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 July 19 11:50 BST (UK) »
I had a look at Lt Col Taylor's will (PCC 1842) and couldn't see any mention of adopted son John. Perhaps no need to provide for him as he was already well established in his civil service career.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lizw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 July 19 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hello again
Sorry I hadn't seen your last post - yes I had thought that too.

The evidence from the wills I have seen is pointed:
In 1843 Wm Graham, Lt Col Taylor's father in law ignores John Taylor in his will and but leaves items to all the other children Lt Col Taylor.
I think it was Lt Col John Taylor's mother who mentions the adopted son of Lt Col John Taylor

Interesting that John Taylor who died in Kasauli named his home Woodcot which was the name of his paternal Gt Grandfather's home in Scotland.

many thanks again - would love to know more about this John Taylor who d. Kasauli but not sure where to turn now any ideas gratefully accepted.
Stephens Brunton Thomson Taylor Graham Alves Ferrie Helmore Pember Reeves Mills Prestney Bundy Young Stewart Knipe Wright Libeau Coopey Blogg Keith

Offline herefords

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 04:02 GMT (UK) »
I have a Mary Ann Taylor born Madras to John Taylor in 1809. I believe her mother was Louisa,
"a native of this country".  She was the ggggmother of my husband and his DNA results are giving us
hours of interest. Please be in touch if you think a possible link.