Author Topic: James Williams Blaenavon  (Read 2851 times)

Offline kenandjulie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Williams Blaenavon
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 July 19 10:12 BST (UK) »
With regard to the information regarding James departure  29th Jan 1921, on the  OMAR -  this looks about spot on. If the departure date was 29th Jan and his arrival at Freemantle was 8th March 1921 then the journey would have taken 38 days.
I was stationed in Aden in  65'/67 and it was a very busy port with a great number of ships sailing on to Australia. I know in the past Aden and Columbia were refueling stops and I am assuming that the OMAR sailed via Aden.
ken

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 July 19 15:23 BST (UK) »
you haven't mentioned details of age or names of witnesses from marriage to Mary Elizabeth Powell. If she was older than James, there is this possible Mary E

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7P9-5T9

1901 52 Middle Hill St, Blaenavon RG13/4932 folio 37 pg 15
James Powell head mar 55 colliery labourer below ground
Sarah wife 55
James son 22 colliery haulier below ground
Samuel son 19 coal filler below ground
Mary E dau 17
Sarah Jane Lewis dau mar 30 housekeeper
William Lewis son in law 29 outside fitter at steel works b. Glam, Pentrebach
Samuel J Lewis grandson under 1 month

If she married James Williams, there is this death reg
Mary E Williams 33 jun qtr 1919 Abergavenny vol 11a pg 69 - gro index shows middle name to be Elizabeth

2 possible sons to the couple jun qtr 1915 & jun qtr 1917, one problem being is that I can see them in the free index to the 1939 register.

::)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline kenandjulie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 July 19 17:05 BST (UK) »
Last week I received copies of a birth cert for Thomas James Williams, Born Blaenavon  1st May 1915 17 Ellick Street, Blaenavon Mother Mary. E Williams and father James Williams.

2nd  Cert received was a marriage cert on the 12th May 1914 showing a marriage between James Williams age 23 bachelor, coal hewer of 17 Ellick Street, Blaenafon. Father Thomas Williams.
and Mary Elizabeth Powell aged 29 of 24 Duke Street, Blaenavon Father James Powell .

3rd cert was a death cert for Mary Elizabeth Williams died 19th May 1919 at Dan y Capel Cottage ,Blaenavon. Aged 33 yrs. But this shows that the husband was   WILLIAM WILLIAMS  a Furnace charge loader also of DAN Y CAPEL COTTAGE, BLAENAVON

Ken

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 July 19 18:03 BST (UK) »
yes, that's the Thomas J Williams who is on the 1939 register with his brother and parents. So it could be this James who married Mary Elizabeth Powell

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7PS-MG5

Your James wouldn't be 23 in 1914. His birth was registered june qtr 1894 Crickhowell vol 11b pg 105 mmn Richards. So on 12 May 1914, he would be 20 at the most. Also, where did the marriage take place? Was it a church or the registry office? I haven't found school records for James yet, but the ones I've found for other siblings show that some had previously attended Catholic schools.

Admitted to Pwlldu National School 9 April 1888
Joseph Williams dob 11 June 1882
George Henry Williams dob 10 Oct 1883
father Thomas, collier, address New Found Out, previous school for both Blaenavon Catholic
Harriet dob 9 March 1888 admitted to same school 18 April 1893
Thomas dob 25 June 1890 admitted 10 April 1894
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline kenandjulie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 July 19 18:12 BST (UK) »
The marriage for James Williams aged 23 in 1914 (was known to change his age) and Mary Elizabeth Powell aged 29 The cert says Marriage solemized at the REGISTAR OFFICE and also at the bottomm of cert it says Married in the REGISTAR OFFICE  9according to the rights  and ceremonies crossed out.

Great find on the schools as it shows my grandfather Thomas (Tom) admitted to school at the age of 4.
Ken

Offline kenandjulie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 July 19 18:17 BST (UK) »
Re marriage cert for James Williams and Mary Elizabeth Powell the witness' were

William Hy Williams and May Evans

Ken

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 July 19 18:45 BST (UK) »
so the witness, William Henry Williams, looks to be the brother of the James born 1890. If you look at the link for the 1911 census from FamilySearch given above, there is a 23 year old William Henry who is a widower and probably the father of Arthur, the grandson in the household.

William Henry Williams married Esther Lewis march qtr 1894 Abergavenny vol 11a pg 94
birth reg Arthur Williams march qtr 1911 Abergavenny vol 11a pg 54 mmn Lewis
death reg Esther Williams 23 march qtr 1911 Abergavenny vol 11a pg 41

Offline kenandjulie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 July 19 20:07 BST (UK) »
This certainly puts the cat among the pigeons. My Williams family does not have a William Hy Williams.
My Wiiliams family were living at 2 Upper Brick Yard, Blaenavon and on the 1901 census indexed as head    Thomas Williams.b 1859 Blaenavon. Mary Jane (Richards) wife,  born Blaenavon  1861. Joseph b 1882 Blaenavon. Harriet  born 1885 Blaenavon Thos (Thomas) born 1890 Blaenavon. James born 1894  Blaenavon.  Jessie came later in 1902.

I still believe my James Williams married in 1914 as in Nov he had joined the 2nd Battleon Monmouthshire REG and was posted to France. He was wounded and sent home 1915 and finally discharged from the Army Dec 1915. We have a photo of his son circa 1919/1920 showing him to be about 5 years old, i believe conceived in 1914. James passport showed him to be a widower and this was stamped  16th June 1920. Looks like I have to start all over again. There is a marriage for James Williams  b 1893 Blaenavon, married MATRAVERS in Blaenavon  1914 and sailed to Australia but this is my James 1st cousin son of George Williams. Hey ho!

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 July 19 20:32 BST (UK) »
That shows the importance of looking at all the details on a marriage cert.

Jesse, no i, wasn't born in 1902, his birth was registered, as noted previously, sept qtr 1901 Abergavenny vol 11a pg 61 mmn Richards. Date of birth given on school log book as 19 July 1901.