Author Topic: Help with Smiths in Westbourne  (Read 1061 times)

Offline jmec73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Smiths in Westbourne
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 July 19 16:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie, that makes more sense about the Probate then, I wondered why only one daughter out of the six was listed!

Best wishes,
Jon.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 July 19 18:20 BST (UK) »
This may help-from British Newspapers on FMPast:

A NAVAL WEDDING

“... and Mrs. Spence, of Kirswell Green. Worcester. and Miss Marjorie Smith, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Smith. of Rose Cottage, Westbourne. The bridegroom was in naval uniform. as also was the best man. Eng.- Lieut. D. I'. Sparbam. The bride wore • beautiful ...”

February 13, 1936 - West Sussex Gazette - Arundel, Sussex, England

For the life of me I can't figure out how to clip/paste the article on this laptop.
 Basically,Marjorie married Norman SPENCE. Bridesmaids were Eleanor SMITH (sister of the bride) and Lindley SPENCE (sister of groom). Stephen SMITH (brother of the bride) acted as page.

Maureen

Offline jmec73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 July 19 19:35 BST (UK) »
Fantastic, thanks Maureen! I've found the article on BNA :) Having done a little digging it looks as if William Richard Smith married again in 1930 so Stephen is a half-brother of Marjorie.

Best wishes,
Jon.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 July 19 19:43 BST (UK) »
Right!  :)
Did you see the one with the photo?

PRETTY NAVAL WEDDING AT WESTB
“... collar; and the bridegroom's mother Norman Spence. RN., son of Mr. and wore a blue floral silk gown with Navy Mrs. Spence of Kirswell Green, Worces- blue hat and fawn coat. The duties of ter, who was in full dress uniform. The best man were performed by Eng-Lieut ...”

February 14, 1936 - Hampshire Telegraph - Portsmouth, Hampshire, England

And you've seen William Richard SMITH's probate? (1953) Grace Elizabeth is a spinster and Joan May is the wife of Leonard James BRUNT.

Maureen

Offline jmec73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 July 19 12:20 BST (UK) »
That's great, thanks so much Maureen, I'd not come across either of those, but have got them now - great to see a photo :) A couple of interesting observations, the newspaper report refers to Marjorie's mother as opposed to her step-mother (not sure if that would have been a convention of the time); and on William's probate, the hospital he died in was the one I was born in! How strange!

Best wishes,
Jon.