Author Topic: John Todd & Ethel Constance Hay - Linhope Terrace, Chevington, Northumberland  (Read 1446 times)

Offline LynnMU1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm trying to trace John Todd who was married to Ethel Constance (Hay).

I have his date of death (visited their grave) as 8th Dec 1961; probate date; and marriage date Mar 1915 but need advice on how to track down his date of birth etc. 

It was a very common name and on the 1939 Register it states his date of birth as 2nd Oct 1890 but on FreeBMD, there was no John Todds born in October 1890.

I've only recently started the family tree so am unsure how to proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Lynn

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Todd & Ethel Constance Hay - Linhope Terrace, Chevington, Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 July 19 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to rootschat.

The births are recorded in year quarters ending March, June, September and December so a birthday on 2nd October would be recorded in the December quarter. If I remember correctly you have 42 days to register.

There are 9 John Todds in the December 1890 quarter. Do you know which area you are looking in?

Brie

Offline LynnMU1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Todd & Ethel Constance Hay - Linhope Terrace, Chevington, Northumberland
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 July 19 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Brie

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  I'm not sure if he was Newcastle or Northumberland.

I have ordered the marriage certificate for John and Ethel C, to see if that might have an address on where he was living in 1915.

Lynn

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 July 19 15:06 BST (UK) »
The marriage certificate should also give you the names and occupations of both John's and Ethel's fathers.

With this information you should be able to work out which of the 9 John Todds is yours by looking at the censuses. When you find him you will have a place of birth from the census and you should then know which birth certificate you need.

In theory anyway!

Brie

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 July 19 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynn, and welcome to RootsChat :)

I'm sure you know that FreeBMD only covers England and Wales but bearing in mind his location, do you think he might have been born in Scotland?

The 1939 Register doesn't give birthplaces, but have you looked for him in census records for 1891, 1901, and 1911 in England?  If he's not there you'd be looking at Scottish BMDs and census on Scotland's People via this link: https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

Carol

OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline LynnMU1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 July 19 15:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brie, fingers crossed. It's like a minefield!  ;D

Lynn

Offline LynnMU1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 July 19 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

I know some of my ancestors were Scottish but never thought of checking on the Scottish site.  I will have a look on there.

Thanks
Lynn

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 July 19 15:37 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

The marriage transcript is on familysearch
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QLLL-5V33

Ethel Constance Hay age 20 father George Adam Hay
John Todd age 24 father Robert Todd
Marriage 6 Mar 1915
Chevington Chapelry, Northumberland, England

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LynnMU1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 July 19 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie

Thank you SO much, I didn't know about this website!! That helps so much and is really appreciated.

Lynn  :)