Author Topic: UK Find-a-Will charges  (Read 26630 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: UK Find-a-Will charges
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 10:27 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say thanks too, thanks Carol :). I wonder when it did change, the May 10th snapshot shows it was still £10 a couple of months ago

https://web.archive.org/web/20190510143300/https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Support/Help

I've asked them and will let you know.  There doesn't seem to have been an announcement :-\

Carol
Since it is still in BETA, perhaps they are just testing to see what is an appropriate level of charge. Perhaps with the hike to £10, only a trickle of orders ended up coming in. Now if they get a deluge, they know it's too cheap ;D ::) :P.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 13:15 BST (UK) »
Interesting piece on the WDYTYA? Magazine website says that the price cut "was introduced in a statutory instrument that became law on 22 July" and "will be in place for the next 12 months. A spokesperson for the Ministry of Justice, which runs Find a Will told WDYTYA? Magazine that a new proposal for ordering probate records would be implemented after that time, which " might mean other price changes" ".

Having ordered 9 wills yesterday, the above allays my initial fears that the £1.50 was a typo! I can see me ordering lots more over the next year.

And interesting to note that the £1.50 is cheaper than the 10 credits (£2.50) charged for wills and testaments on Scotlands People!

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 13:18 BST (UK) »
Here's the reply I've just had from the wills people, sent at 1244 UK time:
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 24 July 19 02:03 BST (UK) »
I only wish I could find some that might help me.  I like a bargain!
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 24 July 19 10:41 BST (UK) »
Interesting piece on the WDYTYA? Magazine website says that the price cut "was introduced in a statutory instrument that became law on 22 July" and "will be in place for the next 12 months. A spokesperson for the Ministry of Justice, which runs Find a Will told WDYTYA? Magazine that a new proposal for ordering probate records would be implemented after that time, which " might mean other price changes" ".

Having ordered 9 wills yesterday, the above allays my initial fears that the £1.50 was a typo! I can see me ordering lots more over the next year.

And interesting to note that the £1.50 is cheaper than the 10 credits (£2.50) charged for wills and testaments on Scotlands People!

William
I wonder if the eventual aim is to make the whole thing fully digital, I assume at the moment some human involvement is required in the orders given the 10 working day wait. In which case we might have to pay a bit extra to cover the costs of the investment required to make the whole system automated.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 24 July 19 16:35 BST (UK) »

Thanks, CarolA3   ;D ;D

Just ordered three wills at £1.50 each. Totally painless  8)

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 24 July 19 16:51 BST (UK) »
I've ordered 6 and 2 arrived this afternoon. :)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 24 July 19 16:56 BST (UK) »
Thankyou CarolA3 - just ordered 5. Now have to exercise patience!

Brie

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 24 July 19 19:22 BST (UK) »
Mine have all arrived this afternoon  ;D - very happy!

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk