Author Topic: 'Highfield' Seafield St, Banff  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'Highfield' Seafield St, Banff
« on: Wednesday 24 July 19 09:08 BST (UK) »
I'd like to find out which house 'Highfield' is, especially where it is relative to the Seafield Bakery. Reason is that a William Robertson, a grain merchant, had lived there for many years and died there in 1925, and Jemina Legge née Watson who lived at the Seafield Bakery was the informant on her mother's death in 1920 where she (inexplicably) gave her gdfather's occupation as grain merchant. Wondering (a) how many grain merchants there were in Banff at the time, retired or otherwise, (b) did Jemina pluck a respected neighbour's respectable job rather than recording "don't know" or "would rather not say" in today's parlance?

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: 'Highfield' Seafield St, Banff
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 July 19 10:50 BST (UK) »
The index on Scotlands People for the 1920 Valuation Roll has a William Robertson as Proprietor and Occupant of a house and stables at 29 Seafield Street, Banff.

There is still a bakery in Seafield Street and it is further down the hill from number 29 on the corner of Stuart Street. Don't know if that is where it was in the 1920's.

Might be worth a look at the valuation rolls.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 July 19 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks dowdstree. (I only just noticed my original reply of a couple of days ago has failed to appear - don't quite understand why it didn't.)

The current Seafield Bakery is and was at no.6 and no.8; it was known as Leggie's. Jimmy Legge also owned no.4 ('Roseacre'), renting it out, and lived there for a while. No.29 is not that far away I suppose. The Banffshire Year Book for 1898 mentions William Robertson - I can't say for certain but he seems to be the only grain merchant in Banff at that date. It's academic at this distance in time, but there's at least a measurable chance Jemima Watson (forename is spelt thus, despite her nickname being 'Mina') got the idea of recording her gdfather's occupation as a 'grain merchant' instead of what it really was - a 'mason'.

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 July 19 22:55 BST (UK) »
Nice to hear from you Fordyce.

Looks like you are probably correct about Jemima Watson giving the wrong occupation for her grandfather on her mother's death certificate. As we know the information is only as good as given by the informant. Still wonder why she did that?

I know Banff reasonably well as my son lives there and we use the Seafield Bakery on occasion. In fact I will be holidaying in Whitehills in a couple of weeks time.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife