Author Topic: Samuel Beesley - Livery Stable Keeper, Oxford 1830's and onward  (Read 1585 times)

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Beesley - Livery Stable Keeper, Oxford 1830's and onward
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 July 19 12:03 BST (UK) »
Just for completeness:  as far as I can work out!

Samuel Beesley, b 1791 marries Elizabeth (not found surname/place/date) and they have 6 children bet 1822 and 1830; Samuel's occupation is Horse Dealer and abode is St Mary Hall Lane. From my other notes I guess this is the Samuel who is the Livery Stable Keeper in Pigots 1830.

In Oxford, 1842, he marries Elizabeth Roberts nee Price, who had been married to Henry Roberts.

Samuel and Elizabeth Price then have 6 children between 1844 and 1851, baptised in Summertown, Samuel is recorded as a Farmer. and the 1851 census shows children from both Elizabeths.

Samuel dies in 1859 and in 1861 Elizabeth is the Farmer of 255 acres - Diamond Farm - with various children.  Wonder if that is where the Diamond Caravan Park is now?

I have found that Samuel had an older sister Susan. (I would love to find a brother Thomas - but I'll keep looking)

Thanks for all your help.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 July 19 09:34 BST (UK) »
From the OxFHS - Marriage index. 1538-1837. and Charlton on Otmoor  PR's CD

Samuel Beesley, o.t.p, married Elizabeth Brugess(possibly Burgess), of Marsh Gibbon. @ Charlton on Otmoor. 28 Dec 1827.
Witnesses - Henry Parker & Thomas Thornton.

The Beesley is extremely varied, Basely, through to Beasley, Bazley, Basly etc etc.  I know that coz I have Beesely's. ;D

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 July 19 09:47 BST (UK) »
Interesting, but not sure - Samuel (Horse Dealer, Livery man) and Elizabeth have children 1822 - 1830.  I am used to the first child being 'early' but not so many!  Children baptised in St Mary's Oxford.

I agree re the multitude of poss spellings, and the closeness of the families in Oxford which makes it challenging to unscramble families when you don't know if it is the enumerator or the person choosing the spelling!!.

Do you have the Fisher Row Beesleys?  Or a different line?

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 July 19 10:56 BST (UK) »
Totally diffent line for me, thank goodness. ;D

I just threw that marriage into the mix.  :)

Just because he married in C. on Otmoor,.....doesn't mean to say he never lived in Oxford.  1841 census would say b.i.c.  Of if he died just after the census, or his wife.......being 'of the parish'....does not infer he was born there in C.on Otmoor. just possibly residing there.

Good luck with your research.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 July 19 11:44 BST (UK) »
There are various newspaper articles which mention Samuel BEESLEY, including advertisements for his businesses, property to let, lost horses, winding up his business at St Mary Hall Lane etc. I'm happy to transcribe or attach here if you haven't seen them. Though I can't see any marriage notices for his first marriage.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 July 19 11:57 BST (UK) »
Have you considered this marriage in St George Hanover Square on 5th January 1815

Samuel Beesley bachelor of this parish and Elizabeth Sanders spinster of the parish of Garsington in the county of Oxford - both signed the register.  Witnesses James Nicholson & Lydia (Byner?)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 July 19 12:18 BST (UK) »
The property Samuel has to let in 1834 is in Garsington.

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 July 19 14:14 BST (UK) »
You are both brilliant - the advert on 02 August 1834 links Samuel Beesley, the Fly Office on Jesus College Lane to Garsington - his wife's family property perhaps?  As you say this is following the closure of the Beesley and Beechey business in March 1833.

and I have been looking at the children, found some more, and the first is Charles in 1816 - which ties to a marriage around 1815, earlier than I had thought.  So the one to Elizabeth Sanders looked good.

But why a marriage in London ???  I guess there was a lot of dealings with London from the transport business.  Does put Samuel otp... so I guess he'd been living in London long enough to qualify to marry there.

I'll keep looking.  Thanks...