Author Topic: Trying to find the family of my Great Grandmother Elizabeth Duncan  (Read 3751 times)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find the family of my Great Grandmother Elizabeth Duncan
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 28 December 19 18:14 GMT (UK) »
I'll save you searching post 1908.  I sent her a PM but I should have posted here.  I looked at all Wm Duncan b 1845 +/- 5 years for Lanarkshire (13 of them).  He is not there. Only one with a spouse Margaret, but as a physician.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 28 December 19 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Were any of them possibles but lacking detail i.e. registered by someone other than a family member &/or addresses which may be of help?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 28 December 19 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Something isn't right here folks.

I think there is a mix-up, possibly due to copying someone else's "research" on Ancestry.

The William Duncan who claimed poor-relief in Shotts in 1907 clearly states that his parents were James Duncan and Mary Maxwell, both deceased at the time of the 1st claim.
(Apthorpea has his parents as William & Rebecca).

In an 1893 claim from Shotts parish made by Mary Ann Sharp or Duncan, aged 23 years, she states that her husband William Duncan is unable to work as he in the fever hospital. She also gives his parents as James Duncan and Mary Maxwell. She also states that William was born in Ireland and has been in this country for four years. Settlement was denied in Scotland, which means that they weren't in the country long enough to obtain settlement by residency.

No mention of Dennistoun (a district in the middle of Glasgow - more or less) so where does that come in? I think Apthorpea is looking at two separate families here?
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 28 December 19 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I'll save you searching post 1908.  I sent her a PM but I should have posted here.  I looked at all Wm Duncan b 1845 +/- 5 years for Lanarkshire (13 of them).  He is not there. Only one with a spouse Margaret, but as a physician.

Don

Don, if the William Duncan who claimed poor relief in Shotts is the right one (and I have my doubts) he could have died anywhere! He may even have gone back to Ireland.
Go a few miles east from Shotts and you're in West Lothian, he may have wandered over to Fauldhouse or Breich, somewhere like that?
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 28 December 19 19:23 GMT (UK) »
I think there is a mix-up, possibly due to copying someone else's "research" on Ancestry.

The William Duncan who claimed poor-relief in Shotts in 1907 clearly states that his parents were James Duncan and Mary Maxwell, both deceased at the time of the 1st claim.
(Apthorpea has his parents as William & Rebecca).

In an 1893 claim from Shotts parish made by Mary Ann Sharp or Duncan, aged 23 years, she states that her husband William Duncan is unable to work as he in the fever hospital. She also gives his parents as James Duncan and Mary Maxwell. She also states that William was born in Ireland and has been in this country for four years. Settlement was denied in Scotland, which means that they weren't in the country long enough to obtain settlement by residency.

No mention of Dennistoun (a district in the middle of Glasgow - more or less) so where does that come in? I think Apthorpea is looking at two separate families here?

Lodger, the thread is long and at times very confusing (at least for me) but I think (from memory) there were 2 named William (father & son).

Dennistoun was where William Snr' wife Margaret was living in 1881 although from the info. given we're none the wiser whether she was a widow i.e. still kind of fumbling in the dark?

Thanks for highlighting the differences as it actually looks to me as though William Snr. died pre 1881?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 28 December 19 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Dennistoun was where William Snr' wife Margaret was living in 1881 although from the info. given we're none the wiser whether she was a widow i.e. still kind of fumbling in the dark?

Thanks for highlighting the differences as it actually looks to me as though William Snr. died pre 1881?

Annie

If William senior's wife is Margaret how come William junior says his mother's name was Mary? This is what makes me think the Shotts connection is all wrong. Don't you think it's most unusual for parents to come over from Ireland 10 years before their son? Acording to the Shotts poor relief William had only been in Scotland from about 1889 -90.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 28 December 19 21:29 GMT (UK) »
It would take far too long to go through everything with names/dates etc. but...

Edit...my mistake!

William Snr. James & wife Margaret had a son William...
William married Rebecca & had a son William John...
William John married Mary Ann...

Did they too have a son William which could tie in with a mother Mary?

Annie

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 28 December 19 21:55 GMT (UK) »
2 sons called William? You been at the trifle sherry again Annie  :D :D :D
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 28 December 19 22:02 GMT (UK) »
You been at the trifle sherry again Annie  :D :D :D

;D After scrolling through the sea of words again, I'm sea-sick as I'm unclear if William John & Mary Ann did have a son William or maybe I've missed it?

Annie