Author Topic: HOPKIN Alfred 1912  (Read 5501 times)

Offline Lace34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HOPKIN Alfred 1912
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 April 07 20:58 BST (UK) »
Geez, my family had a lot of illegitimates!
Even now they dont make things easy  ;)

l will buy the certificate soon as lve to order other certificates just to try find out who my 'other' grandfathers father is! Maybe he too was illegitimate.

As always thanks,

l will let you know (in all current situations) how l get on.

Rachel
Brooker Young Hopkin Rudd Coupland Platten Harris Fitzgerald Middleton Sewell Sewel Benton Myres
UK and Australia (for now anyway)

Offline Vronx53

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hopkin family tree
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 September 07 22:26 BST (UK) »
Currently researching Hopkin line (my Mother's maiden name) I have an Alfred Ernest born 1884 died 1932.

I am on Genes Reunited.

But if you have any info to share would be grateful and I can fill you in on my line and what I have found so far.  My mother is Gwendoline Gilbert (nee Hopkin), Father Charles Richard married Mary Parkin.  Grandpa Charles retired as Chief Super in the Hull policeforce and became a farmer but lost money and somehow ended up living in Manchester possibly to be closer to my mother.

Regards Veronica

Offline Lace34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 December 07 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Just letting everyone know that l am now back into researching and will add any additional info l recover in due course.

l am sort of starting over as l have to refresh my memory on all the finds l have so far - could take a while!

Thanks again

Rachel.
Brooker Young Hopkin Rudd Coupland Platten Harris Fitzgerald Middleton Sewell Sewel Benton Myres

Offline Lace34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to drag this old thread up again but l have had updated information.

Seems that Alfred Ernests father (also Alfred) did indeed marry Rachel Langley. Rachel and her husband went on to have l believe 6 children, there was however NO Wilfred, my dad suddenly remembered that 'Wilf' may have been a great uncle and not a brother of my grandad (Alfred Jnr). Rachel's parents are as you said William and Mary.

Alfred snr however was not named after his dad, l have now been told that his father was called Richard! Also the surname, Richard Hopkins - l do know that the 's' was dropped after Richard as my grandad used to hate anyone adding the 's' to his surname.

So sorry! there was no Wilf which led us astray. Now l need to figure out roughly which year Richard was married to obtain a certificate, l am about to search census records as now l am determined to figure out exactly when the 's' was dropped.

No doubt l shall find a few more surprises.

Rachel.

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Alfred snr however was not named after his dad, l have now been told that his father was called Richard! Also the surname, Richard Hopkins - l do know that the 's' was dropped after Richard as my grandad used to hate anyone adding the 's' to his surname.
Rachel.

How do you know it is Richard? Did the marriage certificate give a name?

It is, of course, possible that Eliza Jane was married to a Hopkin(s) before she married John Would. Did the marriage certificate describe her as a widow? It would mean that the birth in 1859 is the wrong Eliza Jane. The 1861 and 1871 censuses each have an Eliza Jane Hopkin born in Laceby in 1859/60. the chances of there being another Eliza Jane, born in the same place and the same time, who married a Hopkin(s) seem very remote. So I'm not sure where Richard fits into the picture.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 14:28 GMT (UK) »
I've just been rereading thee posts and I'm not sure what is fact and what is hearsay.

The birth of Alfred Ernest Hopkin in 1911 gives his mother's maiden name as Langley, so we can be fairly certain that the marriage in 1908 between Alfred and Rachel is the right one.

As an aside, the other Hopkin/Langley births in Hull on freebmd are:

Linda R Hopkin       Mar 1916
Alice Hopkin           Jun 1917
Charles W Hopkin  Jun 1918

The Alfred Ernest Hopkin(s) birth at roughly the right time in roughly the right place is this one:

Alfred Ernest Hopkins    Jun 1884   Doncaster    (not Hull, but quite close)

Eliza Jane may be a red herring as the Ernest Hopkin in the census is likely to be this one:
Ernest Hopkin   Sep 1883   Hull   ie no sign of an Alfred in his name.

The latest addition is the name Richard. If this is true, then this seems the best bet:

RG12/3864
20 Duke St, Doncaster
Richard Hopkins, 39, gen lab
Elizabeth H, 42, b Kakenham, Norfolk
Thomas H H, 17, lab, b Castleford, Yorks
Richard H, 14, lab
Charles H, 12
Arthur H, 10
Alfred E Hopkins, 7
Archibald H, 5
Florence S H, 1    all others b Doncaster

It all really depends on how you know about Richard.

Not an illegitimate one in sight I'm afraid!

Richard

All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline St Wilfrid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 19:28 BST (UK) »
I've just been rereading thee posts and I'm not sure what is fact and what is hearsay.

The birth of Alfred Ernest Hopkin in 1911 gives his mother's maiden name as Langley, so we can be fairly certain that the marriage in 1908 between Alfred and Rachel is the right one.

As an aside, the other Hopkin/Langley births in Hull on freebmd are:

Linda R Hopkin       Mar 1916
Alice Hopkin           Jun 1917
Charles W Hopkin  Jun 1918

The Alfred Ernest Hopkin(s) birth at roughly the right time in roughly the right place is this one:

Alfred Ernest Hopkins    Jun 1884   Doncaster    (not Hull, but quite close)

Eliza Jane may be a red herring as the Ernest Hopkin in the census is likely to be this one:
Ernest Hopkin   Sep 1883   Hull   ie no sign of an Alfred in his name.

The latest addition is the name Richard. If this is true, then this seems the best bet:

RG12/3864
20 Duke St, Doncaster
Richard Hopkins, 39, gen lab
Elizabeth H, 42, b Kakenham, Norfolk
Thomas H H, 17, lab, b Castleford, Yorks
Richard H, 14, lab
Charles H, 12
Arthur H, 10
Alfred E Hopkins, 7
Archibald H, 5
Florence S H, 1    all others b Doncaster

It all really depends on how you know about Richard.

Not an illegitimate one in sight I'm afraid!

Richard
Linda Rachel Hopkin is my Mother and is still alive aged 97

Offline St Wilfrid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 19:39 BST (UK) »
New to this site. just reading family trees and Alfred Ernest Hopkin was my grandfather who lived in Londesborough street Hull at his time of death, he married Rachel Langley (Hopkin) who  was my grandma her daughter Linda Rachel Hopkin Now Dransfield is still alive at the age of 97 and lives in Selby.
 Roy

Offline St Wilfrid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 14:03 BST (UK) »
My Granddad was Alfred Ernest Hopkin who married Rachel Langley
My mother Linda Rachel Dransfield Nee Hopkin is still alive Born 1916 in Hull Myton No MYT/59a/493 Her Sisters and Brothers were
Polly
Gladys
Alfred
Leonard
Alice
Charlie

Regards  Roy