Author Topic: Seeking a birth record for Michael McChrystal (b. c.1857)  (Read 2924 times)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking a birth record for Michael McChrystal (b. c.1857)
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 13:23 BST (UK) »
1859 Griffiths Valuation http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&familyname=&firstname=&offset=40&countyname=&parishname=&unionname=&baronyname=&totalrows=77&PlaceID=838772&wildcard=
James McLaughlin map ref 47 see it on a map then

1911 census 28 in Grange (Desertmartin, Londonderry)
McLaughlin Roseanna 69 Female Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Derry - Cannot read - Widow 
McLaughlin Edward John 24 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Derry Farmer Read and write - Single
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 02 August 19 17:21 BST (UK) »
So on the military side of things, I’ve yet to find any evidence to a link to Stanley McChrystal, but I’ve found plenty of evidence of military service in the wider McChrystal family.

Michael Thomas Aloysius McChrystal (elder brother of the Arthur McChrystal who left for America) served as a Driver (read: Horseman) in the Royal Field Artillery during WWI. He served with 4 Battery VII Brigade RFA. They were stationed as part of the 2nd Rawalpindi Division in what was then India (now Pakistan) for the duration of the war. He was probably mostly stationed in Abbottabad - more recently famous for being the site of Bin Laden’s death. Michael also likely fought in the Third Anglo-Afghan war, a brief cross-border conflict in 1919 that saw Afghanistan gain full political independence from Britain.

James Redmond McChrystal, another of Arthur’s brothers, served with the 7th Battalion Loyal North Lancashire Regiment (a battalion also known as the Preston Pals). He served in France for the duration of WWI.

Another possible brother of the Wigan-based McChrystals was John McChrystal who served with the King’s Own Royal Lancasters. This man received two bravery awards, the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) and the Military Medal. I’ve yet to confirm that this man is indeed linked. Probably need to try and find his marriage record to check his father’s name is Arthur to fully confirm.

Finally, I’ve found another Michael McChrystal (cousin of my great-grandmother, son of my 2x great grandfather’s brother John). He was working as a messenger for the General Post Office in London EC1 before the war. He then seems to have served as a Kite Balloon spotted looking for submarines off the South Coast of England at Berry Head!

Offline fimarshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 12:33 BST (UK) »
Heywood, thanks for posting that. For some reason, I hadn't made the connection that these two nephews were the same people as in the England census returns.

Kelly, if this Arthur is indeed your great-grandfather, then that means he spent some time living in the same house as my great-grandmother Helena ('Lena') McChrystal . ;D I've attached a photo of her below. It was taken, I believe, sometime in the 1920s.

As a side note, Arthur's brother (listed here as Michael Thomas) was in full Michael Thomas Aloysius McChrystal. He also went back to England and I believe served in the Royal Field Artillery in India during WWI, though I've yet to find time dive into the military records on that one.

Hi there, I've just started tracing my family. I believe Helena McChrystal may be my great grandmother. If I'm correct, she had a daughter called Eileen (1923-66) who married Joseph Marshall (1912-98). Do you have any more info about Helena? I.e how many children she had? or any other photos? Any help much appreciated.

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hey Fi, yes Helena did have a daughter Eileen. I don't have much information on her in my tree but if your dates are correct then she would have been the elder sister of my grandmother Roseanne McLaughlin. I believe that would make us second cousins!

I do have some further details and photos that might interest you, I'll send them through as a PM rather than fill up the thread here.  :)

Offline fimarshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 12:33 BST (UK) »
That would be great if you could send through info/photos. I'm so new to this that I couldn't figure out how to PM you! Thanks!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 13:13 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

That would be great if you could send through info/photos. I'm so new to this that I couldn't figure out how to PM you! Thanks!

See https://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo