Author Topic: Williams / Davies / Taylor Ancestors Dowlais / Merthr Tydfil  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Clansman68

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cywir in Gwlad / Serva Jugum
    • View Profile
Williams / Davies / Taylor Ancestors Dowlais / Merthr Tydfil
« on: Wednesday 31 July 19 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I am trying to close a few gaps in my family history on my Mum's side (Williams).

Like many iron workers from the Valleys, my ancestors (Williams, Davies, Taylor) migrated to Middlesbrough in the 1850 - 1860 period. They continued to work as Finers, Puddlers, Hammermen etc. in Middlesbrough right up to my Grandad George Williams, who although officially a welder / boiler maker, was also very good at working iron and making wrought iron gates, fences and other items.

My Great-Great-Great Grandad John Williams married Esther Davies on 3rd July 1841 in the Parish Church of Merthyr Tydfil (not sure which church that is?), but both are shown as residing in Dowlais. John's father is shown as Henry Williams a Labourer and Esther's father is shown as Evan Davies a Preacher (Can't find anything about Evan Davies being a preacher in Dowlais?).

I can't locate an 1841 census record for either family, so have no information on the names of the mothers of John and Esther, which makes it difficult to find marriage and birth records.

I have a census record for John and Esther Williams for 1851 where they are shown as living in Aberystruth. The record also states that the entire family was born in Cardiganshire.

My Grandad and Great Uncle Ernie often told me that John Williams walked from Dowlais to Middlesbrough to find a job and have a better life and that once he got established he sent a cart to collect the family. My Great Auntie Margaret recently told me this story again, so its a bit of a family legend,

I can't find a census record for 1861, (Would be great if someone could help!) and the 1871 and 1881 census shows them living in Middlesbrough. The birth years for John and Esther differ but are usually in the 1817-1818 range for John and 1818-1821 range for Esther.

Also the 1871 census just states Wales as place of birth for all family members, but the 1881 census states Carmarthenshire for John and Esther and Glamorganshire / Dowlais for some of their children and one grandchild.

So I am looking for any information on John and Esther's parentage, birth records, marriages etc, and 1841 census please. Also the 1861 census record, although I'm beginning to think they may have missed the 1861 census?

The Taylor connection is that Evan Williams, John and Esther's son, married a widow Selina / Celina Matthews in Middlesbrough her maiden name was Taylor and her father was John Taylor a Puddler from Dowlais born 1799 to Benjamin and Mary Taylor.

The really strange thing is that Selina is consistently shown as being born in FRANCE, usually in places that don't exist: Hasville, Rasville, Rasville Fronde???

I just don't understand how this happened, as in the 1851 census John, living in Llanwenarth, is shown as born in Dowlais, his wife Jane born in Plymouth Glamorganshire (which is in Penarth I believe?) and the other 3 children of which 2 are older and 1 youner than Selina born in Monmouthshire.

Does anyone know how to track down a British Citizen's birth record from France for 1842?

I realise I've thrown a lot at you, but I've hit a brick wall with all of this so I'm hoping someone is better educated on the Valley Ironworker families than me. Always happy to reciprocate, as I'm a keen researcher!

Thanks and kind regards to all!

From South Wales: Williams / Taylor / Davies / Harries / Rosser

From Scotland: Hay / Finlay / Ferguson / Campbell / Reid and many others

From Devon: Rugg / Rugge / Quantick / Leaman and many others

From Yorkshire: Rudd /Grange / Grainge / Dobson / Hewison / Robson / Swales / Swailes and many others

From London and Kent: Brown

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Williams / Davies / Taylor Ancestors Dowlais / Merthr Tydfil
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 15:28 BST (UK) »
Esther's father is shown as Evan Davies a Preacher (Can't find anything about Evan Davies being a preacher in Dowlais?).

Just a thought but Evan may already have died before the 1841 census so is not to be found. 

Any baptisms for baby Esther with father Evan, appreciate Welsh names are not easy!
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 15:36 BST (UK) »
Possible

Esther Davies bap 3 Sep 1820
LLanarth Cardigan
father Evan
mother Elizabeth
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 15:42 BST (UK) »
A few immediate thoughts.  The parish church in Merthyr at the time would have been what is now known as the Old Parish Church, St Tyfils.  The present building was built in 1894, replacing the previous one built in 1808. 

A nineteenth century Welsh iron worker having a child born in France is entirely possible.  Grace's Guide says "Iron Puddling was a skill developed in Britain, and puddlers were in great demand on the Continent in the early 19thC."  See under 'Other Workers' here:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Expatriate_British_Engineers_in_the_Industrial_Revolution

With iron working connections in mind, it is possible that someone saying they were born in Plymouth, Glamorgan, might have meant the area near the Plymouth Ironworks, Merthyr Tydfil.  The ironworks were so dominant in the area that sometimes people would name them as their birthplace rather than the parish.

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline Clansman68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 16:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Drosybont that's really helpful  :)

From Yorkshire: Rudd /Grange / Grainge / Dobson / Hewison / Robson / Swales / Swailes and many others

Offline Clansman68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 16:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Millipede. I don't thinks Esther's father was dead, as the marriage certificate, which I have, does not say deceased. All other marriage certificates I have where the father was already dead have (Deceased) written under the name.

I'll have a look at the record you've flagged up! Thanks :-)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 16:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Millipede. I don't thinks Esther's father was dead, as the marriage certificate, which I have, does not say deceased. All other marriage certificates I have where the father was already dead have (Deceased) written under the name.

I'll have a look at the record you've flagged up! Thanks :-)

You are lucky then.  :)

Information about fathers on marriage certificates is not reliable.  The form does not ask whether he is dead or alive just what his occupation was.  Some fathers were invented to cover illegitimacy, this information would not have to be proved.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 17:39 BST (UK) »
Large parts of the 1861 census are missing, that could be why you can't locate them

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l0i/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Clansman68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks rosie99 that might explain it!