Author Topic: What did Bertha Millicent Hills do? Completed  (Read 600 times)

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What did Bertha Millicent Hills do? Completed
« on: Wednesday 31 July 19 22:02 BST (UK) »
I am curious about Bertha. She was born January 27th 1875. Her father, Walter Augustus Hills, was an architect and the children were well educated; at least one daughter had a degree.

Bertha is with her family in the 1891 and 1901 censuses but unlike her siblings she does not have an occupation in the 1901

I can't find her in 1911

In September 1924 she departs from Liverpool on the ship Canada (White Star) for Canada. She is down as a domestic and gives her last address in England as c/o Thos Cook in London. This is curious as she has a large family there. Had she had enough of them and running away? I would love to know what happened to her when she got to Canada

Brie

Added: I have just spotted her death September 24 1952 in the UK and it describes her as of New Zealand so maybe she didn't stay long in Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What did Bertha Millicent Hills do?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 23:16 BST (UK) »
Form 30A (entry into Canada) indicates she is a Clerk and is in transit to New Zealand so it doesn't appear that she stayed in Canada at all, probably just passed through to the west coast to catch another ship to continue her journey.

She gives a brother (?) H F Hills of 95 Mt Pleasant Lane in London as her contact back in England.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 23:24 BST (UK) »
Thankyou. I'll look at New Zealand
.Brie

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 August 19 00:37 BST (UK) »
Looks like Bertha arrived in Southampton from New Zealand 25 May 1924. She was going to the London address quoted above. So it looks like she might have already been living in New Zealand. She apparently wasn't planning to remain in England.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 August 19 06:47 BST (UK) »
New Zealand papers "Papers Past"
Auckland Star, 7 July 1838
DEATHS
Hills - On July 6, at Greenhithe, Percival Ford, beloved brother of Frank and Bertha Hills. Interred at Birkenhead.

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What did Bertha Millicent Hills do? - Completed
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 August 19 07:44 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Polarbear and Hanes Teulu,

So it looks as if two of her brothers were in NZ as well. I'm pleased about that. Then it appears she died on a trip home to see family as the address on her death notice is the same address as on sister Agnes's probate record.

Brie

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What did Bertha Millicent Hills do? Completed
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 August 19 14:26 BST (UK) »
You are very welcome. Pleased we could help  :).

PB