Author Topic: Frederick George PAY family, Kent 1911  (Read 1557 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick George PAY family, Kent 1911
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 August 19 15:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, Louisa Maud!  I did spot that, always good when you get a good clue.

Looks as if Jane Freeman (or at least some of her family) came from Liverpool.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline MaystonianJo

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Dear Louisa,

I realise I’m posting this rather late so I hope you see this. I have been trawling my(our?) family tree, my 5x great grandfather is the brother of Frederick George Pay’s father. I have traced the lineage back to Isaac Pay b. 1754. And Isaac Pay’s Wife, Ann Hawkes back to around the 1100’s. Are you a direct descendant of Frederick George Pay? If so we’re related!
Here’s a link to the family tree through Kent’s public census- https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/L71B-SR3

I’m descended from the John Pay and Tomlinson Lidster line.

Best Wishes,
Joanna Pay

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 July 23 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanna - many apologies for extremely late reply to your post, which I didn't see an alert for.

I've been staying away from home during refurbishments and the email may well have been ignored in the midst of other domestic things, sorry!

In true form I can't take myself back to why I was researching the Frederick George Pay who is your ancestor, back in 2019.  I do have a Frederick George Pay in my tree, but it's not the same one - possibly I was trying to pin mine down by excluding yours.

So I am not directly connected to your Frederick George, or to you, but I do have an extensive Pay family history in Kent, which may have links further back to your family.  Although the name is - perhaps surprisingly! - very common in Kent.

My family history, so far as I've pinned it down with certainty, starts with John Pay and Ann Revel(l).  John was born in Swingfield, Kent in c1757 and may have been the son of William Pay and Margaret Streeting, though given the common nature of his first name, I cannot be wholly certain.  Ann Revel(l) was born in Adisham in 1764. 

The family seems to have moved to Nonington, Kent, where the majority of baptisms took place, including my gx4 grandmother Henrietta Pay.  I am descended down an illegitimate line from her son John, born c1806 in Nonington and baptised in nearby Womenswold.

So none of it is very far from your own Pay family close to Sandwich.

Thank you for attaching your tree, which I've looked at carefully, but there seem to be no connections.  And to think that I thought, when growing up in North London, that PAY was a very unusual surname.  Most definitely not so.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex