Author Topic: Lucy Johnson in Mikado Saskatchewan  (Read 506 times)

Offline Peter Stines

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lucy Johnson in Mikado Saskatchewan
« on: Thursday 01 August 19 15:21 BST (UK) »
Born in 1901. Parents died when she was young. Shipped off to an orphanage run by nuns. She was taken out by Stephen and Mary Atell and worked on their dairy farm. She was not adopted by them but took their name. This came from Lucy herself. (I have one document that gives her name as "Lucy Johnson") She left the Atells by 1920 and was in Manitoba. She married John Corman Patterson in 1921. (I have a copy of that record and her name is given as "Atell")
Campbell, Staines, Smith, Wolfean, Wilson, Donley, Dearnally, Blair, Comstock, Corman, Stines, Fiesel, Tschiedel, Becker, Gute, Merritt, Lawrence, Stevenson, McSparran, McCullum, Walker, Hamilton, Boulmay, Clegg,Atell, Patterson, Zogott, Getts, Harrison,

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lucy Johnson in Mikado Saskatchewan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 August 19 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

I'm also referring to your related topic: "Stephen and Mary ATELL"
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=816529.0

Where was Lucy born, and her parents?

Do you know when she went into the orphanage and where, and when she left?

Just trying to figure a timeline when she might be expected to be with the ATELL couple.

I see her,  Lucy ATELL  in the 1921 Census prior to her marriage that same year, a single maid in Winnipeg, age 19 born Manitoba, Parents: Polish   Is she referring to the ATELL's as Polish?

Her husband John Corman PATTERSON 1905-1949. They divorced 1937 and he remarried.

I see Lucy ATELL or PATTERSON  remarried  herself, 29 Jul 1937 in Buffalo, NY to Charles D WILSON and they had a child that same year.  What does that marriage record say about her parents?

When you say (on the other topic) that  it seems the ATELL couple had a son Herbert who was in WW1, what is the source for this - any more details?  I can find a 16 yr old Herbert ?ATELL? in 1891 in Ontario.  Can't find anything on CEF.

I also see Mikado was a small hamlet (in 2006 Census, 56odd people) and it (was? is?) in the "the rural municipality of Sliding Hills No. 273. 

I've been looking all sorts of ways in the 1906-1911-1916-1921 Census in the Canada archives, but not getting very far!

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Peter Stines

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lucy Johnson in Mikado Saskatchewan
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 August 19 14:59 BST (UK) »
No names for Lucy's real parents. She said she was born in Mikado and that the courthouse burned so there is no record of her birth. But Lucy could tell some "fibs" when it suited her! What you found is right on the money! John Patterson was husband No.1 and their daughter, Beatrice Mary is my mother. Lucy left John before 1924 and was living in Buffalo NY. Mom was born in Sisters of Charity Hospital. Lucy worked as a maid during the late 1920's. Charles D. Wilson was husband No. 2 and he was born in Buffalo in 1863. They had 1 daughter named June born in 1939. Charles died in 1941.
Lucy's third husband was Wallace Walker. Married in 1957 in Buffalo. No children by third husband. I have dates of death for all parties. Mom is still alive, she's 94.
Campbell, Staines, Smith, Wolfean, Wilson, Donley, Dearnally, Blair, Comstock, Corman, Stines, Fiesel, Tschiedel, Becker, Gute, Merritt, Lawrence, Stevenson, McSparran, McCullum, Walker, Hamilton, Boulmay, Clegg,Atell, Patterson, Zogott, Getts, Harrison,