Author Topic: "Miffy" : Diary of a Cleveland Miner  (Read 657 times)

Offline Joed99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Miffy" : Diary of a Cleveland Miner
« on: Monday 05 August 19 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

For some years I have been researching the "Diary of a Cleveland Miner" kept by William Rowbottom an Ironstone Miner and resident of Margrove Park & Charltons Terrace and Boosebeck from 1873 to 1927.

The source is a transcription of the diary's entries published in the Cleveland Standard of Jan 28th 1939. There are over 230 different surnames involved.

A final few entries still remain stubbornly unsolved. As a final attempt to try and solve them I have turned to the good folk of RootsChat who may cast a new set of eyes over them and help me complete my research. I have tried all the usual available resources that I have access to currently.

29th September 1924 Miffy left Boosebeck for Goldthrope

Many Thanks

John

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: "Miffy" : Diary of a Cleveland Miner
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 August 19 19:27 BST (UK) »
Male or female?  Clearly a nickname.   Can be a corruption of Myfanwy but doubt that's the case here.

Why not Google it for ideas but without any clues as to sex or christian/surname .............??
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Joed99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Miffy" : Diary of a Cleveland Miner
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ive tried Google

Went down lines of Miffy been nickname for SMITH, as there used to be a road sweeper in the village I was brought up known as that!

I believe "MIFFY" is male as leaving Boosebeck for Goldthorpe, meant moving away to work in the Yorkshire coal mines as several others did

Thanks for your input

John