Author Topic: Marriage of OWEN OWENS and CATHERINE of Castell, Beddgelert  (Read 3144 times)

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of OWEN OWENS and CATHERINE of Castell, Beddgelert
« on: Monday 05 August 19 17:23 BST (UK) »
Bore da lovely people,

I'm having trouble and would appreciate your help finding a marriage record for Owen Owens (1788-1851) to Catherine (?) (1784-1849). Owen Owens farmed at Castell, Nantgwynant parish of Beddgelert. I believe he was born there. There's an 1805 record of him serving in the Napoleonic Wars  so there's a possibility that he met his spouse elsewhere, however the family seem to keep things close to Beddgelert given the choice.

There may be earlier children given the dates, but the earliest enumerated in the 1841 census is Griffith Owens (abt 1820), followed by Henry (1822-1891), Hugh (1824-1869), Anne (1827), Jane (1829).

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of OWEN OWENS and CATHERINE of Castell, Beddgelert
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 August 19 18:53 BST (UK) »
I note that on the 1841 Owen is recorded as 'not born county'. All others in the household are born in the county. Does his Napoleonic record give any clue to his birth place?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 August 19 19:04 BST (UK) »
I note that on the 1841 Owen is recorded as 'not born county'. All others in the household are born in the county. Does his Napoleonic record give any clue to his birth place?

Gadget

Napoleonic record states birthplace as Beddgelert :(

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 August 19 19:09 BST (UK) »
Just looking at a Will/Bond 185 naming ?son Hugh in the Nat Library - haven't read it yet though. Have you got it?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 August 19 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hugh is Owen Owen's executor. It's a bond between him and William Roberts of Ty Issa  for £160.

Gadget

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 August 19 19:14 BST (UK) »
Just looking at a Will/Bond 185 naming ?son Hugh in the Nat Library - haven't read it yet though. Have you got it?

Gadget

Yes have had a quick look today luckily, thank you! It states he died intestate, don't think there were many clues in there even though it was illuminating about the farm. Thanks for the transcript of Ty Issa as I'd struggled to read that. I have made good progress with Hugh and the other children but I was in Beddgelert a couple of days ago and Owen and Catherine's gravestone unlocked a few things for me. Frustrating to be stuck with their marriage though!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 August 19 19:22 BST (UK) »
Have you got any baptisms of the children?  I've only just started to look. It could be that they were non-conformist   :-\

Also, have you looked for baptisms for Catherine  with blank surname?

I'll have another look later this evening. 

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 August 19 19:24 BST (UK) »
Have you got any baptisms of the children?  I've only just started to look. It could be that they were non-conformist   :-\

Also, have you looked for baptisms for Catherine  with blank surname?

I'll have another look later this evening.

I have found baptismal records for the children on FindMyPast but these won't let me view the original record which is frustrating as there may be clues in there. Thank you so much for your help so far.

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 August 19 19:44 BST (UK) »
In 1851 the enumerator incorrectly records him as Owen Owans, lists the farm incorrectly as Castall rather than Castell and lists him as being from Carnarvon... Finding Owen Owens in Carnarvon might be like finding a needle in a hay stack though!