Author Topic: Marriage of OWEN OWENS and CATHERINE of Castell, Beddgelert  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of OWEN OWENS and CATHERINE of Castell, Beddgelert
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 August 19 22:56 BST (UK) »
There is an online tree

Owen Richard Owens b. 1788 Caernarvonshire. Parents Richard Owen (1758-1847) and Margaret Isaac (b 1763).

Spouse Catherine (b. 1784)

I'm not sure this is all correct as it has him dying July 1861. It could be a typo - 61 rather than 51

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 August 19 23:01 BST (UK) »
Another tree has Catherine's mn as Parry.

Gadget

and one has his father as Owen Maurice -  so semi-patronymic
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 August 19 23:25 BST (UK) »
Following from my last post, it is possible that we are dealing with a patronymic-surname -semi patronymic shift in last names .

My ancestors in the Penllyn parishes were entered variously during this period, depending on the whim/style of the vicar or the parish clerk.

I spent ages working out that part of my tree and it wasn't until a younger brother married post-1837 that I was able to verify my findings.

So maybe look for Maurice or even Richard as last names in addition to Owen(s).

Gadget

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 14:43 BST (UK) »
Griffith Owen is one of the family. There's a long history of his wife's family from 1902, when she died aged 84

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3838721/3838735/92/

His wife was Margaret Williams, daughter of Robert & Catherine Williams, ultimately of Cae'rpontbren. She married Griffith, son of Owen Owen, Y Castell, Nantgwynant when aged 27. Griffith then got the post of servant to Mrs MInshull of PLasgwynant and they lived in the Lodge for 40 years, had 9 children (8 survived)

She was one of 15.

Ah Mabel this is incredible, diolch yn fawr iawn! I wish my Welsh were better than it is but will have a go in any case, what a wonderful document, thank you for looking and sharing.

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 14:44 BST (UK) »
Griffith Owen baptism,1819,Beddgelert is on FreeReg

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01o5h/

Roger

Thank you Roger, very helpful! :D

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
The original boundary of Beddgelert Parish and the Caernarvonshire/Merioneth boundary was the river Glaslyn which passes thro' Beddgelert. In the early Censuses, part of current Beddgelert Parish appear under Caernarvonshire, and part under Merionethshire (part to the East/South East of the river including the hamlet of Nantmor and the Nantmor valley). In 1841 Censuses on Ancestry you find Districts of Beddgelert 1-5 under Caernarvonshire and Districts 6-7 under Merionethshire. The Merionethshire section was a detached part of the Parish of Llanfair cum Harlech. So in 1841 Census for parishes in Caernarvonshire, someone born in Beddgelert/Merionethshire would be shown as being 'not from County'.
There are 2 essays, in Welsh, written c. 1900, which have a lot of information about people who had lived in Beddgelert.
Emyr

Thank you so much, Emyr. I had a sense of this when going through the records but very useful to have it confirmed. I would love to see those essays. Even though my Welsh is appallingly scant I would like to have a go at reading what I can if they're available to view online at all.

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 14:47 BST (UK) »
Following from my last post, it is possible that we are dealing with a patronymic-surname -semi patronymic shift in last names .

My ancestors in the Penllyn parishes were entered variously during this period, depending on the whim/style of the vicar or the parish clerk.

I spent ages working out that part of my tree and it wasn't until a younger brother married post-1837 that I was able to verify my findings.

So maybe look for Maurice or even Richard as last names in addition to Owen(s).

Gadget

Thanks very much for the tip. There does appear to be a bit of this going on in the tree, and then the dropping of the 's' from 'Owens' just to make things more confusing in the mid-century. I am always a little loath to look at other trees even though they can be so useful as I have been led down the wrong path by mistakes in others' research a few times!

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 21:07 BST (UK) »
There's another piece on the history of the Gwynant Valley which confirms that Harry Owen, who established the Pen y Gwryd hotel as the Victorian tourist attraction in the area, is the son of Owen Owen y Castell

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 21:24 BST (UK) »
There's another piece on the history of the Gwynant Valley which confirms that Harry Owen, who established the Pen y Gwryd hotel as the Victorian tourist attraction in the area, is the son of Owen Owen y Castell

Hi Mabel, thank you so much - yes I am aware of Henry (Harry) Owen :D maintained quite the legend for generations to come!