Author Topic: Marriage of OWEN OWENS and CATHERINE of Castell, Beddgelert  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of OWEN OWENS and CATHERINE of Castell, Beddgelert
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 August 19 20:11 BST (UK) »
Not as bad as looking for William Williams! I did quite a few of the Caernarvonshire BMDs for the North Wales BMD and there were so many Williams  :)

As far as I can remember, either the registrars or the clergy weren't keen on us transcribing their records  :-\

Will start looking again.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 August 19 20:16 BST (UK) »
Not as bad as looking for William Williams! I did quite a few of the Caernarvonshire BMDs for the North Wales BMD and there were so many Williams  :)

As far as I can remember, either the registrars or the clergy weren't keen on us transcribing their records  :-\

Will start looking again.

Gadget

Oh crikey! Thank you so much for your hard work. Very sorry to hear that the clergy/registrars weren't receptive - let's hope that changes in future.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 August 19 20:46 BST (UK) »
I think most of them came around in the end!

I've tried both parish and non-c records but still can't find a possible marriage. Could they have married later as widow/widower?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 August 19 21:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for looking. It is possible that they married later, as going on the parish baptismal records I think it is likely that they were together from at least 1813 - so Owen would have been 26 and Catherine 30 but that assumes that all of their children were born in the parish.

The following children were all registered at Beddgelert to Owen Owens and Catherine (wish I could look at the original entries):

Owens   David   1814   —   1814   Wales Births & Baptisms 1541-1907   Caernarvonshire, Wales   

Owens   Anne   1817   —   1817   Wales Births & Baptisms 1541-1907   Caernarvonshire, Wales   

Owens   Henry   1822   —   1822   Wales Births & Baptisms 1541-1907   Caernarvonshire, Wales   

Owens   Hugh   1824   —   1824   Wales Births & Baptisms 1541-1907   Caernarvonshire, Wales   

Owens   Anne   1827   —   1827   Wales Births & Baptisms 1541-1907   Caernarvonshire, Wales   

Owens   Jane   1829   —   1829   Wales Births & Baptisms 1541-1907   Caernarvonshire, Wales

Looking on the 1841 census there is no sign of David or Anne but a Griffiths has appeared who wasn't baptised in Beddgelert (can't find a record for his birth either but that's another conundrum to be unpicked at a later time)

Owen   Owens   Male   53   1788   -
Catherine   Owens   Female   57   1784   Caernarvonshire, Wales
Griffithes   Owens   Male   21   1820   Caernarvonshire, Wales
Henry   Owens   Male   19   1822   Caernarvonshire, Wales
Hugh   Owens   Male   16   1825   Caernarvonshire, Wales
Ann   Owens   Female   14   1827   Caernarvonshire, Wales
Jane   Owens   Female   12   1829   Caernarvonshire, Wales

Catherine passed away in 1849 and by 1851 it's just Hugh and Jane at home with their dad and a couple of farm hands.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 August 19 21:34 BST (UK) »
I assume, like me, you don't live in Wales anymore?

Caernarfonshire Records Office have them (as would Aberystwyth):

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CAE/CAE_PR

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 August 19 22:16 BST (UK) »
Griffith Owen is one of the family. There's a long history of his wife's family from 1902, when she died aged 84

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3838721/3838735/92/

His wife was Margaret Williams, daughter of Robert & Catherine Williams, ultimately of Cae'rpontbren. She married Griffith, son of Owen Owen, Y Castell, Nantgwynant when aged 27. Griffith then got the post of servant to Mrs MInshull of PLasgwynant and they lived in the Lodge for 40 years, had 9 children (8 survived)

She was one of 15.

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 August 19 22:23 BST (UK) »
1861 at the Lodge. All b Beddgelert except Margaret, from Llanfrothen

Griffith Owen    41
Margaret Owen    41
Owen Owen    11
Job Owen    10
Catherine Owen    8
Robert Owen    7
Laura Owen    6
Griffith Owen    4
Henry Owen    1

RG9, 4327, 65, 13

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 August 19 22:44 BST (UK) »
Griffith Owen baptism,1819,Beddgelert is on FreeReg

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01o5h/

Roger

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 August 19 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
The original boundary of Beddgelert Parish and the Caernarvonshire/Merioneth boundary was the river Glaslyn which passes thro' Beddgelert. In the early Censuses, part of current Beddgelert Parish appear under Caernarvonshire, and part under Merionethshire (part to the East/South East of the river including the hamlet of Nantmor and the Nantmor valley). In 1841 Censuses on Ancestry you find Districts of Beddgelert 1-5 under Caernarvonshire and Districts 6-7 under Merionethshire. The Merionethshire section was a detached part of the Parish of Llanfair cum Harlech. So in 1841 Census for parishes in Caernarvonshire, someone born in Beddgelert/Merionethshire would be shown as being 'not from County'.
There are 2 essays, in Welsh, written c. 1900, which have a lot of information about people who had lived in Beddgelert.
Emyr