Author Topic: ross/burke  (Read 5926 times)

Offline jasper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
ross/burke
« on: Wednesday 17 August 05 17:04 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find a record of death for Ellen Ross (nee Burke). or where she is burried.

I am told she died while her children were young and the children entered different institutions.
Her husband William Ross came to england in the late 1930's early 40's.

Her last child was born in Athy in 1927 and baptised at St.Michael's Athy.

I am assuming she died between 1927 and 1940.

I have written to the priest on 2 occassions and have had no reply. I have no family left alive who are able to tell me what happened to her.

If anyone could help me I will be eternally grateful.

Offline Billiejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: ross/burke
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 November 05 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this will be any help, but the same situation occured around the same time within a relatives family and it was the St Vincent De' Paul (sorry if spelling is wrong) organisation who appeared to be the significant child protection agency at that time.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Jasper,

I note you have written to the priest on two occasions. Did you send a small donation on either of these occasions? A stamped addressed envelope might
be sufficient. I feel a little more than a SAE would be an idea if you have not already tried this method. A small gift tends to put the recipient under an obligation  ;) Go for Third Time Lucky.

Good Luck,

Chris

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 September 06 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle sorry if you have already had replies to your questions I am new to Rootschat and cant see if you have due to inexperience at the moment. I live in Athy and my sister from Dublin noticed your queries she was with me here over the weekend and has taken some photos for you of both St Michaels Churches in the town one of which is Roman catholic and the other Church of Ireland which she will post for you laterI'm sure. The current RC church was only built in 1964 though, but on the site of the old St Micheals Church so they therefore have all of the records from the old church also. The Parish priest there is the most rude and unpleasant man I have ever spoken to on the phone unfortunately so if its him that has been getting your messages its probably why you have not had any results, however I have just found out that the secretary a lady called Elaine will be in the sacrestry office tomorrow . Tuesday the 19th from 9.30am until 4pm if you want to ring and I'm sure she will be more helpful to you the number is 059-8638391. I do hope this helps if I can help in any other way let me know
O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jasper I have just been talking to the caretaker at the old St Michaels Cemetry while I was walking my dogs and he said he would try to find a grave for your GGmother there and text me his result apparently he has an interest in history himself as she said he has helped otheres a lovely friendly man too so I hope I can get something concrete for you, and also that you got my message with the phone number for Elaine at the church today , regards
O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline jasper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your offer it would be great to see them.

I did write to Elaine and she kindly sent me some information but not on what I really needed, but anything helps.

I am desperately trying to find where my relies are burried.

It would have been the RC church.

I am bringing my mum to Dublin on 1st October and we are visiting Athy on the Wednesday.

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jasper well the caretaker there as I said is very helpful and hopefully he will have something before then on your GGmothers burial that I can pass on to you , you know how to get to Athy from Dublin I assume ? if I can be of any assistance let me know regards

Offline Taidquest

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Quo Fata Vocant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 September 06 22:23 BST (UK) »
hi michelle,picture of st michaels as promised,I think this, the present day st michaels was probably built in the 1940s or later,but built on the site of the original church,have a few more  from different angles taken from across a fairly narrow street which is why you don't see the bell tower.
                                                                        regards,anne
<br />UK Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchive

Offline Taidquest

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Quo Fata Vocant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 September 06 22:29 BST (UK) »
and from the right side.
                                        anne
<br />UK Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchive