Author Topic: CHAMBERLAIN Robert b abt 1723 & GRAINGER  (Read 3747 times)

Offline gene-genie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
CHAMBERLAIN Robert b abt 1723 & GRAINGER
« on: Wednesday 17 August 05 17:34 BST (UK) »
Looking for birth information for Robert CHAMBERLAIN  born about 1723 - he was porcelain painter and manufacturer in Worcs, but I haven't found a birth for him.  May have been born in the South West, but I am not sure.  His son Thomas Chamberlain was apprenticed to his father.
Other surname associated with family GRAINGER
Thanks,
Gene-genie
BRISTOL/GLS/LON:
DENNING -  RIDDLE-DENNING. & Glam TANNER-DENNING, MORGAN, THOMAS, RICE-ADAMS, RITCHINGS, PINGSTONE
DEV:18thC  RICE, Mary, ADAMS, CLARKE,STENTAFORD. MICHLEMORE.
HANTS: RICE-ADAMS, RICE-DEVEREUX-ADAMS (S'hampton), PIPER.  (Hants)
All GLS/Glam/Brks: TOVEY,  WESLEY/WASLEY, GLS/GLAM.  MARSHALL, PEARSON, GREEN, JAYNES  COOMBES, TOMBS.
LANCS: DUNN, Manc. BROWN Dorset
CHS: BROMILEY
SOM:  BALCH.
WLS:  MORRIS, MGY/DEN, WMS, GRIFFITHS,
WTS/Lon: SKUSE
BRKS/Lon: CHURCH. WAKEFIELD

Offline Carmela

• RootsChat Senior
  • Trixie
    • View Profile
Re: CHAMBERLAIN Robert b abt 1723 & GRAINGER
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 August 05 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
While I have no expertise in Worcester genealogy, I can't resist  jumping in here. As I am a lover of fine porcelain, the names Chamberlain and Grainger immediately set off the alarm bells in my head. How lucky you are to have such ancestors.
A quick look through some of my reference books indicates that all the porcelain experts give 1736/37 as the probable birth date of Robert Chamberlain. A look at the IGI yielded a Robert Chamberlain, baptised 01 Aug., 1736, St. Michael Bedwardine, Worcester, Worcestor. Mother: Sarah Chamberlain. I then checked the Chamberlain Family GenForum on Genealogy.com and found several researchers working on the family of Robert Chamberlain.
From what I read, it appears that they too, mostly accept the 1836 birth date in Worcester. I did not have time to read all the postings,
but none that I saw, had managed to trace Robert's ancestry. The most recent of these postings was about two years old, so perhaps by now they have made some progress.
You don't say where you found the 1723 birth date. I am inclined to
accept the 1736 date as more likely in light of the known facts about
Robert's career in the porcelain business.

"Robert Chamberlain was reputedly the first apprentice at the famous Dr Wall factory at Worcester in the early 1750s. There he progressed to be in charge of the decorating department before leaving to establish his own separate works in the 1780s. From this time onward the factory was under the command of a Chamberlain, and when in 1840 the owners of the rival original Worcester factory declined to continue, it was the Chamberlains who took over, so ensuring an unbroken tradition of fine porcelain manufacture in Worcester from 1751 to the present day."
Geoffrey A. Godden
ISBN: 0839002955

A birth date of 1723 would make him a little too old to have started as an apprentice in the early 1850s.

I could not find any information about a son named Thomas being an apprentice of Robert. Robert's son-in-law Thomas Grainger was an apprentice, as was a son, Humphrey. From a Google search, I turned up another Worcester family web site which kindly listed information from the Worster Archives.

http://www.hartwright.info/w50%20600%2B%20Other%20names.%20Version%202.htm

Chamberlain Hugh 1 May 1776 was apprenticed to his father Robert Chamberlain "Enamell Painter". Found in Worcester City Archives - Freemen's records

Chamberlain Robert 1 May 1776 was apprenticed to his father also Robert Chamberlain "Enamell Painter". Found in Worcester City Archives

From IGI listings, the named Chamberlain appears to go back a long way in Worcestershire. I think it is more lkely that Robert was a local lad than one that migrated from the West Country.
Re: Thomas, I did find two Thomas Chamberlains in the IGI. May be the same man with different wives.

Thos. Chamberlain married Anne Dewsbury, 24 Feb 1811, in Kidderminster. (Dewsbury is another famous name in Worcester porcelain)

Ann Chamberlain, chr. 29 Jan 1836, Kidderminster, dau. of Thomas & Hannah Chamberlain

I suggest that you get in touch with some of the other researchers on the GenForum site. Here are the URLs. (I wandered around a bit and lost track of where I had been, so may be repeats)

http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?Worcester::chamberlain::2803.html

http://genforum.genealogy.com/chamberlain/page3.html

http://www.genealogyboard.com/chamberlain/messages/2969.html

You might find this interesting, if you don't already know about Worcester porcelain. http://www.chinacupboard.co.uk/chamberl.htm

Happy Hunting,
Carmela
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationararchives.gov.uk

Current obsessions:
OXF: Rose of Wheatley and Holton 1700s
BRK: Stevenson of East Hanney 1600-1880s
BKM: Woodman of Wing
DEV: Youlden of Whimple
SOM: Smith, Gudge, Joy and Tett of Crewkerne

Offline porcelayne ladye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CHAMBERLAIN Robert b abt 1723 & GRAINGER
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 September 05 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Gene Genie,
This is very new to me hope it works.
Robert Chamberlain Snr did not have a son called
THOMAS   However he had a grandson THOMAS GRAINGER He was was apprenticed to him and his Uncles ROBERT CHAMBERLAIN JNR AND HUMPHREY.
I have been working on both families for a few years Robert Snr being my husbands 5x gt grandfather.

What is your Family connection ??  Look forward to your reply.
Grainger Worcestershire before 1850
Chamberlain Worcester before 1850
Cowburn Preston-Salford Lancashire  before 1850   Beaumont Norfolk Sussex ALL
Knapp Worcestershire before 1850
Lee     Worcestershire before  1850
Rex     Devon               before 1850
Wainwright.Portsea. Hampshire. Before 1850
Pardoe                 Worcestershirebefore 1850
Grainger              Manchester   All
Berkshire Family History Society
0xfordshire Family History Society