Author Topic: WDYTYA - Jack & Michael Whitehall 5/8/19  (Read 6874 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA - Jack & Michael Whitehall 5/8/19
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 14:44 BST (UK) »
I was quite interested in the actual content of this episode from a historical point of view but I agree that the two 'subjects' were a bit of a pain!

I knew who Jack Whitehall is - I suppose he can't help having a privileged background but why does he have to feign empathy with the working classes like so many of his ilk? Plus, I can't stand that kind of 'overgrown schoolboy' humour which seems to be prevalent at the moment.

As for his father - I really couldn't understand why he was there. Is he supposed to be a 'celebrity'? It seems really easy to acquire 'celebritydom' nowadays - I might go for it myself and see if the WDYTYA people will do me!! Celebrity? I saw the line up for this year's Strictly the other day - apart from Anneka Rice (showing my age) and James Cracknell, my thoughts were a resounding WHO? I shan't be watching it anyway - like most tv offerings, its past its sell by date and should be wound up as its become so predictable. A bit like WDYTYA, I'm afraid - look how long it took someone to start a thread on here for this latest episode. I remember when we were all avidly waiting for each new episode. I'm hoping they might take the obvious popularity of genealogy and come up with a different variation on a theme!

I'm really looking forward to the Paul Merton episode - now, there's a truly witty man. I wonder if he'll be accompanied by his Great Aunt Mabel?  ;D
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 15:21 BST (UK) »

Let's hope the next people show more actual interest rather than acted interest....

Caroline

Extremely well put.

I liked the Daniel Radcliffe episode and thought it boded well for the forthcoming series - I missed the 2nd episode but in this 3rd episode I was put off within minutes by their "double act" which they unfortunately  continued throughout the show. To my mind they did not come across as interested in the information being part of their history but more as a foil to make a few wisecracks and digs in the continuation of the format of their "comedy" show.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 17:10 BST (UK) »

The Newport Riots were the last occasion on which significant numbers of British citizens were killed and maimed by their own troops* - best estimate is that 22 died (Wikipedia), 20 years after Peterloo. It was also the last time anybody was sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered, though this was commuted to transportation for life. More people should know about this. It's a pity if the story got obscured by the celebs.

* depends what you mean by significant - 4 died in the Mold riots of 1869, doubtless there were other examples.

4 killed at Preston in 1842. Plug Riots and Chartism. Preston had a wide franchise prior to the 1832 Reform Act so didn't benefit from the reform. Henry Hunt, the speaker at Peterloo was M.P. for Preston 1830-1833. One of my 3xGGFs in Preston was a Chartist and trades unionist. The shooting happened in the street where a doctor who was brother-in-law of another of my 3xGGFs lived. 
https://wiki2.org/en/Preston_Strike_of_1842
https://www.secret-bases.co.uk/wiki/Preston_Strike_of_1842
https://historicaltrinkets.blogspot.com/2011/10/riot-act-violence-and-bloodshed-on.html

*It also depends on what you mean by "British citizens".
Cowban

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 17:59 BST (UK) »
I liked this episode - but I think jack Whitehall is amusing anyway. Actually so far I’ve liked 2 outta 3 this series with the Daniel Ratcliffe one being a very good episode.
Lisa
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 18:37 BST (UK) »

4 killed at Preston in 1842. Plug Riots and Chartism. Preston had a wide franchise prior to the 1832 Reform Act so didn't benefit from the reform. Henry Hunt, the speaker at Peterloo was M.P. for Preston 1830-1833. One of my 3xGGFs in Preston was a Chartist and trades unionist. The shooting happened in the street where a doctor who was brother-in-law of another of my 3xGGFs lived. 
https://historicaltrinkets.blogspot.com/2011/10/riot-act-violence-and-bloodshed-on.html

Thanks for that. I wondered if there were any such fatal events later than the Mold riots of 1869 - that is, when civilians (scrub "British Citizens" which seems ambiguous) were fired on by soldiers or police. (I know there have been C20th and C21st incidents when people tragically died, but they were isolated incidents mostly not involving state forces. I presume the Metropolitan Police did not intend to kill Blair Peach). Nobody died at Tonypandy or Cable Street AFAICS. Google has not been my friend on this.

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline goldnutmeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 21:58 BST (UK) »
Well, there are quite a few posho and not so posh celebrity father and son double acts. I don’t think we can blame the Whitehalls for accepting a generally accepted format! I thought this was quite good if containing a few unpleasant truths (then again, so did half of the Daniel Radcliffe programme, tho’ if his ancestor was innocent or doing something all his trade were doing, it reflected more badly on the Met and insurance companies than on his ancestor!). I think a few lines could have been put in to explain the status of a grocer and a constable. Also - but perhaps a bit too much given the limited time available - not all women with syphillilytic husbands who were put away were necessarily  syphillitic but the shame brought upon the family by the husband was enough to have them put away. Sometimes the women had a number of uninfected children which could bring the diagnosis, incarceration and, worst of all, prescribing of drugs into question. Medical confidentiality otoh was established after the First World War when medics kept diagnoses of VD of returning soldiers and sailors secret from the wives with sad consequences.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 08 August 19 02:01 BST (UK) »

The Newport Riots were the last occasion on which significant numbers of British citizens were killed and maimed by their own troops* - best estimate is that 22 died (Wikipedia), 20 years after Peterloo. It was also the last time anybody was sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered, though this was commuted to transportation for life. More people should know about this. It's a pity if the story got obscured by the celebs.

* depends what you mean by significant - 4 died in the Mold riots of 1869, doubtless there were other examples.

Yes the 1842 General Strike (AKA Plug Riots) included 6 dead at Halifax, as well as the deaths at Preston
The Reform Bill Riots (Great Reform Act 1832) also saw widespread rioting and numbers of dead
I really despair at WDYYYA history research. Last week we had shock horror at 1830's indenture in Jamaica, as if this wasn't already widespread in England at the time. The Huskar Pit disaster happened 9 years after slavery had been abolished in the BWI, but WDYTYA wouldn't dream of covering something like English coal miners (see the scrapped Michael Parkinson episode)

As a side note. Bradford Chartists were supposed to join the Newport rebellion. Long story why it failed but interesting 

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 08 August 19 14:08 BST (UK) »
I actually enjoyed the Michael's reaction to their ant-chartist ancestor's behaviour rather disturbing.  Especially the suggestion that it is a good thing to stop others voting.  I think it is so disturbing because I have heard it with increasing frequency from the richer and more powerful people that people like me shouldn't be allowed to vote.

One of my cousins is appearing on Strictly this year.  I am both looking forward to see if he has the 'family dancing gene' (my parents were professional dancers) and nervous about it in case it is cringeworthy.  What I really need them to do is WDYTA on the condition thy research the line with the brick wall and then send me copies of the stuff the researchers find. :P
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 08 August 19 14:43 BST (UK) »
I actually enjoyed the Michael's reaction to their ant-chartist ancestor's behaviour rather disturbing.  Especially the suggestion that it is a good thing to stop others voting.  I think it is so disturbing because I have heard it with increasing frequency from the richer and more powerful people that people like me shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Yes, I agree - apparently we're all morons and unable to grasp the truth! Funny how these people always start their comments with "of course, I agree we should honour the people's decision BUT..." I've come to the conclusion that most of these intellectual giants genuinely think they are right - mostly because they exist in the little world of self smuggery which is metropolitan London and not in the real world that the majority of the rest of us inhabit . I agree with you, pharmaT, its frightening and disturbing.

One of my cousins is appearing on Strictly this year.  I am both looking forward to see if he has the 'family dancing gene' (my parents were professional dancers) and nervous about it in case it is cringeworthy.  What I really need them to do is WDYTA on the condition thy research the line with the brick wall and then send me copies of the stuff the researchers find. :P

Wouldn't we all?!! I'd be spoilt for choice as to which brickwall to get them to tackle!!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.