Author Topic: Fulbourn St Vigor  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fulbourn St Vigor
« on: Wednesday 07 August 19 08:07 BST (UK) »
Could somebody kindly confirm the following Fulbourn St Vigor parish register entry extracts found on FreeReg ?

Baptism: 8 Oct 1586 Jeremy CORNWELL s of John

Marriages: (1) 11 Sep 1597 Thomas CORNWELL & Philipp MOORE, (2) 5 Nov 1598 William PYPER & Mary CORNWELL, (3) 19 Feb 1598 George FOSTER & Marie CORNWELL d of Elizabeth (widow).

I had no previous knowledge of any of these so am forced to conclude that my own examination of the registers must have been particularly lax. Many thanks.
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: Fulbourn St Vigor
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 August 19 01:42 BST (UK) »
Some parishes have not had PR's transcribed,you are fortunate Freereg has done this one.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 August 19 07:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you warncoort. I'm not ungrateful - simply puzzled & with the Cambridge Records Centre being closed at present I'm unable to double-check the registers for myself.
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 August 19 20:24 BST (UK) »
Will see what I have Peter. Looks like we go back into the 16th century.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 August 19 06:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Redroger,

Yes, we do. As you know, our direct line can be traced back to the marriage of Robert CORNEWELL & Agnes 'Anne' DRIVER at Fulbourn St Vigor on 30 Sept 1598 hence my particular interest in these FreeReg entries. If you can confirm them, or otherwise, I would be most grateful for they are quite likely to be connected in some way. Regards.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 August 19 19:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry Peter, An initial check has failed on all the names and certainly the time frame.
I am a 7x great grandson of Robert, and no doubt somewhat less than 256 others, as I am aware of internal marriage in more than one branch of the family.
Will keep looking in other places.
Roger
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 06:50 BST (UK) »
Redroger,

Like you, I have got no further with the names cited by FreeReg in Fulbourn or any neighbouring parish for that matter. I will just have to wait for the Cambridge Archive reopening to double-check the original parish registers for myself. We share that direct line back to Robert CORNEWELL but I am glad that you too (apparently) haven't adopted the suggestion that the family originated in Saffron Walden - plausible as that may seem. Many thanks for trying.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 21:21 BST (UK) »
We also serve who only stand and wait Peter

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 February 22 16:53 GMT (UK) »
I have now revisited the original Fulbourn registers and am pleased to confirm that the four entries that I queried in my original post were all there exactly as listed in FreeReg. Deciphering 16th century script was never one of my strengths.