Author Topic: Albone Family-Southill  (Read 7456 times)

Offline Wally Cobbles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Albone Family-Southill
« on: Wednesday 17 August 05 17:51 BST (UK) »
Can anybody help please.

I am a descendant of William Albone and Mary Gibson who were married in Southill on the 20th of May 1771.

I have been stuck here for a couple of years now, but have recently seen on Ancestry.com another generation to my family trre.

It has William's parents as being John Albone and Sarah Woods, who married in Campton on the 16th of Sept 1745.

I have tried to contact the person who submitted this, but without any luck.

Can anybody verify that this couple were indeed William's parents?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Albone Family-Southill
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 August 05 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Welcome to Rootschat.

In the absence of erudite responses here’s my two penn’orth , for what it’s worth.

The tree on Rootsweb, other than the one that I assume is yours, is full of caveats, so anything earlier than the 1771 marriage appears to me to be total guesswork. And the christening date shown, 31 May 1771, does not appear in the PR/BT transcript.

Going purely by what’s in the Southill parish register transcript (up to 1812), I see you as having two problems:

- who were the parents of  William Albone who married Mary Gibson in Southill in 1771?  There is no indication in the transcript that William was from another parish, so the assumption is that he was from Southill. But there were three Williams christened in Southill who are possible contenders:
         - 21 May 1749, son of Hezekiah & Mary (their son Edward
          was christened on the same day, probably twins as the
          couple may have married the previous year in Clophill. It
          seems as though Edward may have died, although there
          is no burial in Southill, as they had another Edward
          christened the following year.)
       - 31 March 1751 son of John & Sarah
       - 24 April 1753 son of William & Sarah (this couple had 4
          children christened in Southill, the last being in 1762.
          There was a William  Albone buried on 19 Oct 1763 at
          Southill, which may well have been this William senior).
          This William jnr may have been a tad on the young side to
           have married the 25 year old Mary Gibson
-   IF, and it’s a big IF, the parents of your William were John and Sarah, were these the John and Sarah who were married in Campton in 1745? There were no christenings of any Albones in Campton subsequent to this marriage so it is probably safe to assume that John was from another parish, and Campton, which included Shefford, is adjacent to Southill. But there were no
christenings to this couple in Southill until 1751, with William being the only one. In favour of the John & Sarah who married in Campton being the parents of William christened 1851 is the fact that virtually all Bedfordshire parish registers prior to 1812 have been extracted onto the IGI. This is the only child of John, or Sarah and John, christened at the right time in Beds, and this is the only marriage of John Albone and Sarah in Beds, so it’s a reasonable assumption  that it’s the same couple. The Campton PR might indicate that John was from Southill. But it still doesn’t get over the hurdle that you can’t be sure you have the right William!

All three of the Williams appear to have survived to adulthood; one of them married Mary Gibson in 1771; another may have married Mary Chambers in Southill in 1776, and one or other of these Mary’s was buried on 23 Sept 1781, wife of William, labourer, and her widower remarried Martha Caudle (the “other” Mary was buried on 4 Apr 1818 aged 68 – the parish register may give an indication of her husband or if she was a widow).  But to compound the problem there were three Williams buried between 1785 and 1795: –
18 July 1785 labourer;
8 Apr 1791, son of Thomas & Sarah so this one can be discounted;
and 2 Dec 1795 – no further details given
plus on 10 Jan 1830 an 80 year old William buried ie born 1749 if his age is correct.

I don’t think from my study of the transcript/NBI/IGI that I can separate the three Williams, particularly as two of them married Marys. Can you even be sure that it was Mary Gibson who died in 1781?

Have you checked to see if any of the three possible sets of parents left a will, which may shed light on who’s who?

Not sure if this gets you anywhere at all, other than to confirm what you probably already knew – take other people’s trees with generous pinches of salt!

Good luck

David

PS If you scroll down the list of threads on the Beds board you will see another researcher of Albone in Southill.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Wally Cobbles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 August 05 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Thanks for your efforts on this. 

After reading the messages and replies on this message board, I wasn't too surprised that it was you who answered my query.

My sneaking suspicion has always been that William's Father was called John as his first 2 sons were also called John. 

This then led me to the John and Sarah who were married in Campton in 1745.  The only thing that didn't really tie up for me was Campton.  Maybe because I've been so used to seeing Southill in almost every other event in this family, and not knowing the area or it's hamlets and their proximity to Southill.

Then as you say I have the problem of too many of the Albones with the same name, marrying Sarahs etc at around the same time.  It's impossible to say for sure which one is the right one.

I will continue to look for an answer, but thanks for your time, I really appreciate it.

Best wishes,
Mark Albone.

PS.  I think that the researcher on this board that you mentioned will be Ratty.  She is descended from the same William and Sarah as me, and we have been in contact and swapped our info!

Offline exessexgirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My lovely Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mark. This is very probably a shot in the dark but here goes. I am tracing details of my Gt grandparents, one of whom was Emily Smith. Through the generous help of people on this site, births of the Smith family have been found in Biggleswade  Beds. The Smiths were travellers and hawkers, and lived in vans. A marriage has been found between a Christopher Smith and Elizabeth Albone in 1849. I was just wondering if there could be any connection  :-\ Lyn
exessexgirl :)<br />
White, Curtis, Lockyer, Drew - St. Pancras
Collins & Catlin of Benington / Ardeley Herts,
Collins, Dunkley, Poole,  of Hackney, Edmonton,Shoreditch
Allens, Clapham,  of Islington.
DeAth.... of Shoreditch.
Gladden & Laker of Shoreditch / Bethnal Green
Bibbys, Smith, Webb, Buckley  of  Essex
Blessed and Wade Spalding Lincolnshire
Pullen, Weedon & Skipps of Hackney and Essex.
Danahar of Bethnal Green
Caddy - Stafford

Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline Wally Cobbles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lyn,

I don't think that there's any connection, at least not directly.

The only Elizabeth that I know of died in 1836, although I have only researched my direct line.  Your Elizabeth might have been a relation from another part of the family.

Do you know where she was born?  Almost all of mine were from Southill and the surrounding villages.  If she was from there then I think that it would be much more of a possibilty.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Good luck,
Mark ;D

Offline exessexgirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My lovely Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 January 06 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Mark. Thank's for replying. As I said, I thought it was probably a long shot! There was an Elizabeth Albone christened on 24 Aug 1828, not sure where though. The research I have come across seems to show the family came from the Biggleswade area. Thanks anyway  :) Lyn
DeAth.... of Shoreditch.
Danahar of Bethnal Green
Caddy - Stafford

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 January 06 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lyn

The christening to which you refer was at Biggleswade, daughter of Thomas and Sarah Albone. There were a lot of Albones in Biggleswade!

regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline exessexgirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My lovely Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 January 06 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that info David  :) Lyn
DeAth.... of Shoreditch.
Danahar of Bethnal Green
Caddy - Stafford

Offline Crystall64

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mark,

I've come to discover through my searches that I am as well a descendant of the Albone family. I am sure that you have searched and tried to contact the same person on-line with no luck as I have. I have obtained records from my grandmother that confirm the tie to the Albone family, in the order in which you believe. These documents have not been uploaded to my system as of yet. Would be nice to get to know about your history a bit and possibly swap some information.

Cheers,
Crystal  ;)