Author Topic: Revd.James Walker 1794-1854 - had no parents  (Read 926 times)

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
  • Australian Heritage - why did my ancestors leave?
    • View Profile
Revd.James Walker 1794-1854 - had no parents
« on: Friday 09 August 19 01:00 BST (UK) »
Hi There,

I am at the hair-tearing stage looking for the parents of the Right Reverend James Walker M.A. I know a lot about this man except the true identity of his parents. Was he a blacksmith's son or born to illiterate farmers or?

This is a little of what I know of him;

He was born 1793-94

educated at Oxford University, became a Deacon in 1818.
In 1819 he became a Priest and Master of Arts of New College Oxford,
he had been Chaplain of New College Oxford and Rector of Paddington Somerset England (there is no such place).

Married 22nd of December 1824 Eynsham, Oxford, England to Fanny Billingsley
      she was the daughter of John and Frances Billingsley and was Christened at Eynsham Oxford,
      England 18th August 1799.
They had ten children in 15 years with their births registered in Charlton Kings, Gloucestershire.

Immigrated to Australia 1841 onboard the Arabian.
spent 2 years living in George Town, Tasmania and became interested in Botany

became headmaster of the Kings School in Parramatta 1843 and Minister of Marsfield, All Saints Church, Parramatta 1847. He also became a Botanist of note.

Reverend of St. Lukes, Liverpool NSW Australia

age 59 Died at Liverpool N.S.W. October 27th, 1854. at Moores Theological College in Elizabeth Street, Liverpool.
He was buried in Liverpool Cemetery.

but...I don't know who his parents were!!! ???

I have explored many options, given him many siblings, looked for his marriage cert, Will, baptism but ...no document I can find will give me a definitive answer on which couple had the dubious honour of being the parents of James.

I am on Ancestry.com.au but I have also Googled him, Found a Grave for him, Troved him, and Family Searched him.

what I have come up with are 2 possibilities and I don't like either.

1. from Oxford Univesity - he was the son of Richard Walker and Elizabeth (nee ?)  of Epwell Oxford
2. From other trees on Ancestry he was the son of Robert Walker and Sarah (nee Wrench)  of Weston South, Oxford.

I also found "the Index of Oxford Diocese Marriage Bonds and Affidavits, 1661-1850" but there is no mention of a Richard and Elizabeth, Robert and Sarah or a James and Fanny for that matter!

is anyone able to point me in another direction or have any information they are able to donate before I am completely bald please.

Kind Regards
Kim
Fordham, Armstrong, Blanch, Baker, Jackson, Clarke, Moffat, Wall, Heaney, Caples, Callinan, Hennessy

Medieval: Browne, Cooke, Scot, Bridgwood, Mee

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Revd.James Walker 1794-1854 - had no parents
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 August 19 06:19 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Online CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 August 19 06:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Hallmark for your timely contribution.  I will not waste any more time on this.  The forty minutes spent on it so far will be put down to experience.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 August 19 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

I just wanted to apologise and thank you for your efforts.

I am new at this so wasn't sure where to post my question. I thought I needed to put it in an Oxford thread. Then when I had no replies, I saw that the dates for the board didn't fit so I moved over to the Beginners board.

I would truly appreciate anything your time and expertise turned up. I welcome any and all help. I am perfectly willing to double my workload by responding to both threads and sharing the information.

Again, I am sorry

Kind Regards
Kim
Fordham, Armstrong, Blanch, Baker, Jackson, Clarke, Moffat, Wall, Heaney, Caples, Callinan, Hennessy

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 August 19 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

May I gently mention that the Cable Clergy Index is a good secondary source of historic information about the Anglican clergy in Australia, but that it is possible that each individual's listing can actually  contain submitted information that has not been fully tested for accuracy. 

Here is the live link to the background info about the ongoing project:

http://anglicanhistory.org/aus/cci/

Here is the live link to the narrative : http://anglicanhistory.org/aus/cci/narrative.html

Here is the live link to the Cable Clergy Index :

http://anglicanhistory.org/aus/cci/index.pdf

Shortly, I will post some family history info about Rev James WALKER and family in New South Wales on the other thread that Hallmark has kindly linked here:

other thread with replies!

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=816945.0

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 August 19 04:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you JM

I will feast on these links!

Kim