Author Topic: Owen Robert Colverd  (Read 4444 times)

Offline PAFC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Owen Robert Colverd
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 13:52 BST (UK) »
If you check out Marjorie Emma George and her mum Adeline on my public tree (Cranes and Simmonds Family Tree) you'll see I've already done most of this work.

Addie's Mum was Emma Hodge, and she goes back to a family in Faversham UK (where we lived from 1981-2002!). I have also her Muckleston line from her father Samuel.
She married Cuthbert Alvin (twice mis-spelt) Fisher twice - first in Bombay with the wrong family name while she was still technically married to Harold George; secondly with her correct name once the Decree Absolute had gone through. But she seems to have abandoned Cuthbert pretty early, possibly because of her concurrent long affair with Garnet Haughton who was named as co-respondent in her divorce from Harold.

By mid-1924 when Dad arrived Addie was running a theatrical boarding house as Addie Leigh or Addie Leigh Fisher - but no sign of the husband.

I have Mrs.Marjorie E Wallace on a ship going to Colombo in October 1933. She seems to have been Simmonds for a mere four months, not the seven I was led to believe. Hopefully Dad's memoir will clarify some of this when I get to the Interesting Bit!

I've trawled through many Marjorie Wallaces and their journeys but discounted them - a) too many b) husbands with them at wrong addresses and in the wrong job. The only appropriate Wallace I've found so far is a Mines Surveyor listed in the UK 1939 register, Archibald Ure Wallace. Married, but maybe playing away like Marjorie. She bewitched men.

Thanks for the Simmonds hints - I'm not sure if that's my family though - unless it's another of Gran's many siblings. I'll check.

Dad worked mainly as a semi-itinerant Jackaroo while he was out there from 1924-1931.

Pam

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 23:21 BST (UK) »

I have Mrs.Marjorie E Wallace on a ship going to Colombo in October 1933. She seems to have been Simmonds for a mere four months, not the seven I was led to believe. Hopefully Dad's memoir will clarify some of this when I get to the Interesting Bit!

Pam

Is her last address familiar to you?

129 Empress Ave, Ilford?

There are no others named Wallace on the “Esperance Bay" from UK in Oct 1933.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PAFC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 05:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue - yes, I found the Ilford address in my searches, but can't link it to anyone else. However, it is in Essex, and very close to Romford where my father's family were concentrated, so it could well be a lodging address. I'm still hoping for a response from the Dance school. Nowhere, so far, is Marjorie identifying as Simmonds despite going through a marriage ceremony.
I have found a news clip in 'Truth' on Trove about Raymond Judd falling under a tram in 1942 and breaking several ribs - clearly an accident this time.
Pam

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 06:01 BST (UK) »
Mariners and Ships in Australian Waters is a fantastic work in progress.   It scans NSW crew and passenger lists based on the NSW State Archives holdings and NSW Archives are supportive of it.   I prefer it to the offering from Ancestry, and not just because mariners is available without subscription, but because the transcriptions are perhaps a tad more reliable.

https://marinersandships.com.au/

So, now for some adverse comments from me...  Ummm.... There’s a submitted tree on Ancestry which is suggesting that Marjorie's mum was a passenger returning to NSW in April 1921 (I remember she had married Cuthbert Alvin FISHER in India in 1919).    Anyway, it is a tad umm…. W R O N G …  only a tad wrong, but .. well you see, there’s no passengers on the image the tree owner has linked, afterall, it is actually a crew list, and having been a transcriber for the Mariners website, I would suggest the vessel was carrying an all male crew (the list has initials and surname which is usual for that era and no mention of any female crew members).  Anyways it is a handwritten list, submitted to Sydney Port Master when arriving into Sydney… and the Ancestry submitted tree owner has perhaps mis-read the surnames listed…

Because :  Well among the crew is A MICKLEJOHN  aged 34, of England, and they are crew, listed as AB  as in Able Seaman…   it is the vessel Kallatina into NSW April 1921.  Two pages of images…  it was a coastal trader, from Cairns (in Queensland) via Brisbane to Sydney, arriving 2 April 1921 

See the free available transcription and image attached. http://marinersandships.com.au/1921/04/media/010kal.jpg   NSW State Archives have the original records,  Reel 2115 at their Kingswood Reading rooms.

I have checked Trove, and Addie Leigh is found up to 1914 and then not until January 1923.  Addie Leigh is in 1923 described as the late prima donna of the Bandman Opera Company now on a visit to Australia.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/223458499  The Sun 21 Jan 1923.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 06:04 BST (UK) »
Here's more info about Addie Leigh, who in Feb 1923 was on holiday in Sydney and had for seven years been Maurice Bandman's leading prima donna ... he was now dead so she was intending to start out on her own...

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/23637992    Mercury (in Hobart Tasmania) 7 Feb 1923.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 07:28 BST (UK) »
If you check out Marjorie Emma George and her mum Adeline on my public tree (Cranes and Simmonds Family Tree) you'll see I've already done most of this work.

Addie's Mum was Emma Hodge, and she goes back to a family in Faversham UK (where we lived from 1981-2002!). I have also her Muckleston line from her father Samuel.
She married Cuthbert Alvin (twice mis-spelt) Fisher twice - first in Bombay with the wrong family name while she was still technically married to Harold George; secondly with her correct name once the Decree Absolute had gone through. But she seems to have abandoned Cuthbert pretty early, possibly because of her concurrent long affair with Garnet Haughton who was named as co-respondent in her divorce from Harold.

By mid-1924 when Dad arrived Addie was running a theatrical boarding house as Addie Leigh or Addie Leigh Fisher - but no sign of the husband.

I've trawled through many Marjorie Wallaces and their journeys but discounted them - a) too many b) husbands with them at wrong addresses and in the wrong job. The only appropriate Wallace I've found so far is a Mines Surveyor listed in the UK 1939 register, Archibald Ure Wallace. Married, but maybe playing away like Marjorie. She bewitched men.

Thanks for the Simmonds hints - I'm not sure if that's my family though - unless it's another of Gran's many siblings. I'll check.

Dad worked mainly as a semi-itinerant Jackaroo while he was out there from 1924-1931.

Pam

Sue posted on the tragic death of the co-respondent in the divorce of Marjorie's parents.  That co-resondent was serving in the AIF,  embarked in 1916,  serving overseas as a volunteer,   took his discharge in Sept 1919 in London ....  and then later he  returned to Australia, receiving disharge cert in Aust.  And his AIF papers are  available at the National Archives of Australia webste ....   I cannot see any opportunity for Addie to have been concurrently with her husband in India and with her  AIF chap in England and also in Sydney Australia in 1919 ...

Some things are just not possible.

JM

Offline PAFC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 07:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all this, JM! I'll check it out asap.
Meanwhile, Jm, Sue, Babs - I got to the interesting bit of Dad's memoir this morning. It's brief enough to post right here:

"It was while I was working in Kent that I learned from my mother that Addie’s daughter Marjorie had come to England and was staying with Uncle Frank and Auntie Vi at 129, Empress Avenue, Ilford (P: Yes!!!). Uncle Frank was Mother’s second eldest brother, and Autie Vi was the cousin of Addie Leigh who had been the means of my introduction to Marjorie on my arrival at Sydney.
I was very excited at the prospect of meeting again the girl I had fallen in love with seven years earlier and whom I had never expected to see again. I rang up my aunt and asked if I could call. The inevitable happened - I was back again deeply, madly in love with this beautiful creature.
Marjorie had come over to study at a well known theatrical dance tuition studio (P: the Imperial School of Teachers of Dancing, still going strong in 2019) and also to study singing. She had divorced her husband (P: not quite, Dad!) and was now following in the footsteps of her mother. She was very ambitious, but also very practical and was prepared to work hard at her chosen profession. She was extremely pretty - a true redhead, full of energy and very affectionate to those she liked. I spent every moment of my free time in her company; I used every argument in the book to convince her that she should marry me. And marry me she did; in a registry office, on June 1st 1933.
On the way back from the wedding I stopped the car outside the Times Furnishing showrooms in Oxford Street to arrange for the furniture to be delivered whilst we were away on honeymoon to the flat we had rented; but when we returned to the car, the two suitcases packed with all my wife’s belongings, including one very valuable piece of jewellery, had been stolen.
It was never recovered. Insurance paid about one-twentieth of the value.
The marriage was a disaster.
I could not give Marjorie any satisfaction. She was very over-sexed, and this acted on me like a deterrent, although I was otherwise quite normal. I became inhibited, and after seven months (P: maybe only four, Dad?) She went and bought a ticket to Cape Town, and left me. (P: No doubt to rejoin Mr. Wallace with his Rhodesian gold mine, whom she must already have met.)"

When she was at the Ilford address with my great-uncle she was *already listed as Mrs. Marjorie E Wallace.* The woman was totally irresponsible! How did Dad not know that? Why didn't anyone in the family realise what was going on? Baffling!
Pam

Offline PAFC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 07:50 BST (UK) »
JM - you don't have to be living with someone to continue a long-term liaison; I speak from (in my case happy) experience! Addie's affair with Garnet, according to her published letter, had been going on for years before she actually left Harold. She probably kept him on an emotional string while she was touring India and fell in with Fisher. Both mother and daughter used men atrociously, sometimes with tragic consequences as we have seen.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 08:45 BST (UK) »
So Addie marries in Bombay in June 1919 husband no 2,  but  is back in Waverley with her first husband November 1919 and husband no.1 claims he has written proof when sueing for divorce showing Addie was involved in Nov 1919 with another man ...  who had served in the AIF ... and was shell shocked .... and had not left the UK until at least end of Sept 1919... 

I think the 1921 divorce may have used some contrived evidence ... it was not unusual for NSW divorces to require proof of 'criminal intercourse'  in that era ... there was a roaring trade in late  night photographers  supplying compromising bedroom photos.   A contrived series of letters was another option.   

The newspaper report names the ship Addie left on for India ... 

Cuthbert FISHER may have been playing the field .... a wife in Melbourne was looking for him ...  a jockey and horsetrainer....

High Society in the 1920s !

JM

ADD   Did Hal know Addie had married Cuthbert?  Did Hal know Cuthbert existed?  Hal could have cited  Cuthbert  but it would be far easier to cite a local chap and recover all legals locally.