Author Topic: James Walker Revd. 1794–1854. has no parents!  (Read 4318 times)

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
  • Australian Heritage - why did my ancestors leave?
    • View Profile
Re: James Walker Revd. 1794–1854. has no parents!
« Reply #54 on: Monday 12 August 19 03:23 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I wanted to reply and let you know that I am now extraordinarily busy "taking good notes" (thank you bbart for the tip) and exploring the fab information you have provided for me.

I am so grateful and appreciative of all you have done for me so far (including the numb bums! sorry 'bout that! cheers for the link to the book. I will save that up for a spesh occasion ;D).

If its any consolation to you I am now wading through the 9 sons and 1 daughter of the very Reverend RF Walker, who married twice - bearing in mind I have added them and deleted before because;

1. Before I posted here, I had spent hours/days searching for James' father. I came across RF Walker hoping he was James' brother and thought that surely there would be a mention his father. It's an insane method I suppose but your assistance has proved that it can be valid although time-consuming.

2. I then came across a long bio for Rev. James written by a descendant who thoroughly believes that his grandparents were Richard and Elizabeth Walker from Epwell, Oxford so, like a dill, I deleted all my hard work!

3. I then realised how wrong I was and readded them, but as I could see no Aust. connection and didn't want to clog up my tree, I deleted them again.

4. Now I see the error of my lazy ways and have reinstated them... again. What a nonce! ::) (go on laugh if you will)

I have also been systematically working through Robert's children as per the list I posted earlier (deleting said Emma) and have filled in some blanks, but - of - course now have more questions;

1. Robert Francis Walker Rev (divine and author) 1789–1854 - still in the works but comfy with what I have on him so far

2. William Walker 1792–?  I can find no death or marriage for William nor can I find him in the Oxford Alumni. Is it safe to presume he perhaps died as an infant?

3. Sarah Ann Walker 1793–? same question as for William above

4. James Walker Revd. M.A. (head Kings School Parramatta, incumbent Liverpool) 1795–1854 - James is the catalyst for this interesting journey and still in the works.

5. John Walker Revd. (chaplain New Coll.) 1797–1834. He died at the very young age of 36; almost a year to the day after his father. I have not found a marriage for him, but as he was a chorister along with his brothers at age 7 and became a chaplain New College at age 26, perhaps he didn't meet too many women? or am I wrong and he did find love?

6. Jane Walker 1799–? -  I can find no death or marriage for Jane. Is it safe to presume she perhaps died as an infant?

7. Frances Walker 1800–1836 - married a Mr. Steele as per her father Robert's gravestone inscription record...

so Sorry I can't find the post where it was provided (maybe I found it all by myself! surely not) but here is the text...

"in the ancient Churchyard: (not Hollywell Cemetery) 47. Upright, tall, slightly arched top, reddish stone. Mr Robert Walker of this parish … 33...........Sarah, his wife … 1828 Their son, The Rev. John Walker of Magdalen College, d. March 20 1834. Their daus. Frances Steele, d. June 29 1836 and Elizabeth who d. 28 Sep 1825 two days before the date set for her marriage.)"

I have found a Joseph Steele as a possible husband with a child, Robert Francis Steel 1834-1900. I am hoping someone could verify that I am correct with this please.

8. Richard Walker Rev 1803–? Having a tad bit of trouble with Richard. The information I have is from the 1861 Census;

Incumbent of Seawaite living in the parsonage.
Married Eliza ? They had 3 children
1. d. Ricarda Grace, b. abt. 1846
2. Forrester Wrench Walker b. abt. 1848 and
3. Edward FS Walker b. abt. 1853

9. Elizabeth Walker died 2 days before wedding 1803–1825. If this isn't sad enough I can't help but wonder what happened!

10. George Edwards Cooper Walker Rev 1805–1879 - still a masterpiece in the works.

I realise there may be some answers already provided that I have missed but I am a bit of a multi-tasker and prone to being distracted by bright shiny things easily, so please forgive me I will find them.

Best Regards
Kim

Fordham, Armstrong, Blanch, Baker, Jackson, Clarke, Moffat, Wall, Heaney, Caples, Callinan, Hennessy

Medieval: Browne, Cooke, Scot, Bridgwood, Mee

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 12 August 19 09:10 BST (UK) »
That memorial inscription is a great find. Doing a quick search for it it looks like it's from the Balliol Archives. If I'm over that way again I'll try and get you a photo.

Balliol Archives - Burials and Inscriptions in St Cross Church
http://archives.balliol.ox.ac.uk/Archives/stcrossmemorials.asp

I did see a tree on Ancestry (it may be yours) with Frances named as Steele, having died in 1836. I looked into it and couldn't find a connection but given that MI I'll take another look.

As for William (born 1792) and Sarah Ann (born 1793), I didn't have any luck tracing either of them.

As for Jane (born 1799), I posted some details on an earlier reply, #21. She married a Rev John Scott. I didn't have any luck tracing her after 1861.

As for Richard (born 1803, died 1875), he married Eliza Maynard in 1837.

Marriage:
married: 05 Jan 1837; Bicester; lic
groom: Richard Walker; of New College; of St Peter's in the East, Oxford; bach
bride: Eliza Maynard; otp; spin
witnesses: William Grant?, Sarah Elizabeth Maynard

GRO BMD references:
1839 Q1 Birth: Percy Cooper Walker; (mmn: Maynard); Abingdon; 06; 127
1840 Q3 Birth: Herbert Stratton Walker; (mmn: Maynard); Woodstock; 16; 131
1842 Q2 Birth: Hyde Edwards Walker; (mmn: Maynard); Bicester; 16; 34
1844 Q2 Birth: Ricarda Grace Walker; (mmn: Maynard); Bicester; 16; 31 [GRO=Waller, FreeBMD=Walker]
1848 Q1 Birth: Forrester Wrench Walker; (mmn: Maynard); Bicester; 16; 33
1849 Q3 Birth: Edwards Francis Walker; (mmn: Maynard); Bicester; 16; 29
1849 Q3 Death: Francis Edwards Walker; (age 0(born c1849); Bicester; 16; 24
1853 Q1 Birth: Edward Francis Se Walker; (mmn: Maynard); Headington; 03a; 518
1875 Q1 Death: Richard Walker; age 72( born c1803); Ulverston; 08e; 644

Probate:
The Reverend Richard Walker
late of Seathwaite, Lancaster
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=walker&yearOfDeath=1875&page=18#calendar

Census records:
1841 - Kings End, Bicester
Possibly son Percy with grandmother Elizabeth Maynard.
Ref HO107; Piece 885; Book 2; Folio 7; Page 8

1851 - Michaelstone Super Avon, Neath, Glamorganshire
Richard and Eliza with 6 children
Ref HO107; Piece 2462; Folio 324; Page 42

1861 - Seathwaite, Ulverston
Richard and Eliza with 3 children
Ref RG09; Piece 3172; Folio 6; Page 5

1871 - Seathwaite, Ulverston
Richard with daughter Ricarda
Ref RG10; Piece 4246; Folio -; Page 5

Newspaper items:
Banbury Guardian
09 Dec 1847
Bicester
Died
November 25, at the Rev. R. Walker's, Bicester King's End, Sarah Elizabeth, daughter of the late Mr R Maynard, of Weston-on-the-Green, aged 40 years.

Banbury Guardian
20 Sep 1849
Died
On the 18th, at Bicester King's End, Francis Edwards, infant son of the Rev Richard Walker.

Lancaster Gazette
20 Mar 1875
Died
Seathwaite - On the 11th inst, at the Vicarage, the Rev Richard Walker, M.A., formerly of New College, Oxford, for 14 years vicar of the parish.

Oxfordshire Telegraph
28 Nov 1877
Died
November 8, at Angelsea Villas, Ventor, Isle of Wight, aged 29, Mr Forrester Wrench Walker, son of the late Rev. Richard Walker, of Seathwaite, formerly of Bicester.

Soulby's Ulverston Advertiser and General Intelligencer
16 May 1878
Marriages
On the 9th inst, at Seathwaite Church, by the Rev S. R. M. Walker, vicar, and the Rev P. C. Walker, vicar of Borrowdale, brothers of the bride, Frederick William, youngest son of the late William Grant, Esq, Addlestone, Surrey, to Ricarda Grace, only daughter of the late Rev Richard Walker, vicar of Seathwaite.

Shields Daily Gazette
05 May 1879
Death of Rev Percy C Walker, curate of Borrowdale church.

Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
  • Australian Heritage - why did my ancestors leave?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 23:21 BST (UK) »
Just a quick update:

I have been researching Jane Scott nee Walker;

That memorial inscription is a great find. Doing a quick search for it it looks like it's from the Balliol Archives. If I'm over that way again I'll try and get you a photo. Yes please!

I did see a tree on Ancestry (it may be yours - Nup mine is the Stanford Banks Walker Family Tree https://ancstry.me/2TsEYLV) with Frances named as Steele, having died in 1836. ...

As for Jane (born 1799), I posted some details on an earlier reply, #21. She married a Rev John Scott. I didn't have any luck tracing her after 1861.

I found her husband's will and discovered that he was a Chaplain to Bengal for the British East India Co. in Howrah near Calcutta. He left her pregnant with their 8th child to go there in 1840 and died 7 years later. Noice!
I think he had something to do with the Miltary Orphans school which is interesting as I have been searching for Indian connections in the family.

The reason for this is that (Jane's brother) James Walker's son, Robert Cooper Walker of Sydney Library fame had a daughter Edith. Edith married a man much older, Charles Alfred Edgar Banks, who imported tea from India and supplied hospitals and Asylums. I have been trying to place him in India for years.

Possibly too far back for a connection but still...

Thank you for all you have provided. I am over the moon! If I go quiet its not that I am unappreciative it's just that I am in 'history heaven'. ;D

Have a great day night!

Kim

Fordham, Armstrong, Blanch, Baker, Jackson, Clarke, Moffat, Wall, Heaney, Caples, Callinan, Hennessy

Medieval: Browne, Cooke, Scot, Bridgwood, Mee

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 00:51 BST (UK) »
Good work on the Scotts.

One final thing which may be of interest, which I'd forgotten to post, which may be of use when trying to trace the earlier generations...

Leeds Mercury
21 Dec 1850
Married
On Wednesday, at St George's church, Hanover-square, by the Rev G E C Walker, M.A. (cousin of the bride), rector of East Farleigh, Surrey, Colonel James Perry, of the 31st Regiment of Madras Light Infantry, to Ida Sophia, eldest daughter of Captain J E Parlby, Royal Navy, and granddaughter of the late Major the Hon. Samuel Holland.

Marriage:
married: 18 Dec 1850; St George, Hanover Square; lic
groom: James Perry; fa; bach; Colonel; St James Street
bride: Ida Sophia Parlby; fa; spin; -; Hampstead (Middlesex)
grooms father: James Perry; Esquire
brides father: James Edward Parlby; Captain R.N.
by: G E C? Walker, rector of Farleigh
witnesses: George D Waite, ? Parlby, Henry P?, Agnes W Halyburton?

It looks like Ida married again in 1866.

GRO BMD references:
1850 Q4 Marriage: James Perry & Ida Sophia Parlby; St George Hanover Square; 1; 38
1866 Q3 Marriage: Patrick O'Brien & Ida S Perry; Marylebone; 1a; 1202

1861 census - Marylebone, London
James and Ida
Ref RG09; Piece 77; Folio 153; Page 16
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7GG-GL7

1871 census - Marylebone, London
Patrick and Ida
Ref  RG10; Piece 166; Folio 89; Page 52
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VRJS-JDC

Ida's likely parents:

Marriage:
married: 14 Feb 1825; St Pancras; lic
groom: James Edward Parlby; otp; bach
bride: Sophia Silvester Holland; of Portsmouth, Southampton; spin
witnesses: ?, ?

Baptism:
name: Ida Sophia Parlby
baptised: 16 May 1832; Boulogne, France
father: -
mother: Sophia Sylvester Parlby
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson