Author Topic: James Walker Revd. 1794–1854. has no parents!  (Read 4316 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Walker Revd. 1794–1854. has no parents!
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 August 19 08:19 BST (UK) »
Is this him in Oxford Alumni database on Ancestry? If so,his father is "...Robert of St Michael's,Oxford(city),pleb.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01o62/

Regards
Roger

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 August 19 09:16 BST (UK) »
It might be worth contacting the archivists at the Oxford colleges. Sometimes they hold useful information - sometimes not, of course. As Oxford is a collegiate university, the university archives are less fruitful sources than the colleges.

There was mention in this thread of him being described as a clerk - I would read that as "clerk in holy orders" in other words clergyman.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 August 19 09:46 BST (UK) »
Is this him in Oxford Alumni database on Ancestry? If so,his father is "...Robert of St Michael's,Oxford(city),pleb.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01o62/

Regards
Roger

If this is him it would seem to endorse that he was the James b.17/8/1795, bp.16/9/1795 St. Michael, Oxford, son of Robert and Sarah.

James himself had a son Robert Cooper Walker born 1833 - Robert and Sarah had a son George Edward Cooper Walker, born 26/9/1805, bp.27/10/1805 St. Michael, Oxford.

So was Cooper a family name further back? (Also, Robert and Sarah's eldest son Robert Francis was also a clergyman.)

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 August 19 00:47 BST (UK) »
George Edward Cooper Walker b.1805 was also a Rector.

I wonder if father Robert may have been too - can't seem to easily spot Robert and Sarah after 1805.   Seems that they might have moved from Oxford as can't find burials for them there.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 August 19 01:07 BST (UK) »
Critchett WALKER, Principal Under-Secretary.

I think you may find that Critchett (formally Robert Cornelius Critchett) was born at sea, near the Cape of Good Hope on 28 June 1841, and was educated in Sydney NSW at St James Grammar School under Archdeacon DREWITT.    When Critchett was 15 years old, he began his training as a civil servant, with his appointment as a clerk of the Legislative Assembly (lower house in NSW Parliament).     Here is a biographical paragraph or two on Critchett. 

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/walker-richard-cornelius-critchett-4787

ADD
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/130993159 One of many Obituaries, this one, from the Richmond River Express of 19 June 1903,  includes family history information.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 August 19 01:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I posted what I had written before reading your update!

The way he looks like a separate person of the J. Walker doing the baptisms is bothering me.
Do you have the names of all the children?  I think we need to look at each baptism to see who officiated in the hopes of a clue!

no,  I think you will find it is the Rev'd James WALKER who conducted the baptism.  I think this for several reasons, including that it is not unusual for the clergy to conduct the ceremony baptising their own children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews - afterall their children are also children of the parish...   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 August 19 01:21 BST (UK) »
I wonder if father Robert may have been too - can't seem to easily spot Robert and Sarah after 1805.   Seems that they might have moved from Oxford as can't find burials for them there.

Possible death of Sarah...

Burial:
name: Sarah Walker
buried: 28 Nov 1828; St Cross (Holywell), Oxford
abode: Holywell

Oxford Journal
22 November 1828
On Wednesday last died, aged 65, after a most painful illness, which she bore with patience and humility, Sarah, wife of Mr Robert Walker, of Holywell, in this city.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 10 August 19 01:25 BST (UK) »
Possible death of Elizabeth Walker, dau. of Robert and Sarah...

Burial:
name: Elizabeth Walker
buried: 01 Oct 1825; St Cross (Holywell), Oxford
abode: Holywell   

Oxford University and City Herald
01 October 1825
Oxford
Saturday, Oct 1
On Wednesday last died, Elizabeth Walker, the youngest daughter of Mr Robert Walker, of Holywell, in this city, in the 23rd year of her age. The circumstances of her death were peculiarly affecting, as she was to have been yesterday united in marriage, had her life been spared, to one by whom she was tenderly beloved.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson