Author Topic: Help where is this place in ireland anyone know?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help where is this place in ireland anyone know?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 August 19 06:13 BST (UK) »
Could you please put up some dates for both please just birthdate, if known or death dates. 
Did either have any second names?
Did they stay in Ireland? 
Any children's names or dates?
Thanks - that will help. 

What record are you looking at to get the name Portown?

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 August 19 06:17 BST (UK) »
There is a record for a Mary O'Brien in 1911 England and Wales census (Manchester) that has her born 1846 from Portlow in Co Waterford. 

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 August 19 10:17 BST (UK) »
you have no idea of where they came from in Ireland?

As you see a few possibles posted plus one has Port Eoin, Pontoon, Parteen etc....
oh dear yes I hadn't thought of all those no unfortunately I have nothing but their names on my Grandads marriage cert as he gave them to the church he died before I was born so all I ever knew of him was he said he was orphaned  and gave his parents names as Patrick O'Brien and Mary Mulligan, and he was born in the South Dublin Union workhouse, I ave found and Edward born in 1895 on the union records on Find my past born to a Mary and says fathers name Patrick but cant find anything else for them on there I have no idea when his parents died but I think he was brought up through the south Dublin Union its so little to go on it has been driving me mad for years lol
O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 August 19 10:59 BST (UK) »
On the Census  for 1911 (2/4/1911) for Ireland there is a 14 year old Edward O'Brien showing as born in Dublin city on the roll of St Vincents Boarding school at Castleknock. 

On 1901 census (31/3/1901) of Covent  boarding school in  Main street Banagher in Kings County (now Co Offaly) there is a 6 years old Edward O'Brien born in Dublin listed. 

Where has the extract you have posted the words Postown/Portown come from?

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 August 19 11:16 BST (UK) »
On the Census  for 1911 (2/4/1911) for Ireland there is a 14 year old Edward O'Brien showing as born in Dublin city on the roll of St Vincent's Boarding school at Castleknock. 
yes csaw that thanks but that was and still is a very swanky schol he was an orphan and probably pretty much penniless until he joined the army for WW1 so doubt its him. Iv checked for his army papers too but cant find any that I can tie to him and that's been the problem with all the records Iv found I have no way to tie any of them in to him theres a family on the 1901 as well of Patrick Mary and Edward and another child the Edward is about the same age but no way to confirm its him its so frustrating!
O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 August 19 11:24 BST (UK) »
Bright little boys with promise were often sponsored to such schools from church funds or directly by wealthy people in the parish that the school was in or one that the boys from workhouse may have worshipped in in Dublin. In the 1901 entry at 6 he was showing as reading and writing.   

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 August 19 11:38 BST (UK) »
On the Census  for 1911 (2/4/1911) for Ireland there is a 14 year old Edward O'Brien showing as born in Dublin city on the roll of St Vincents Boarding school at Castleknock. 

On 1901 census (31/3/1901) of Covent  boarding school in  Main street Banagher in Kings County (now Co Offaly) there is a 6 years old Edward O'Brien born in Dublin listed. 

Where has the extract you have posted the words Postown/Portown come from?
it comes from the family I found on the 1901 census who match

Offline Nailer1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 August 19 13:41 BST (UK) »
There is an area called PORTERSTOWN on the west side of Dublin.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 August 19 04:13 BST (UK) »
Here is the link to the 1901 census
Listing
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/South_City/Parliament_Street/1305435/
actual handwritten return
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003723855/

Patrick is from Co Kildare.  Porterstown is in Co Kildare.  I wonder though if she also came from Co Kildare why the enumerator or whoever filled out the form did not just " the information or write Co Kildare again.  I think that they may be making a distinction between Co Kildare and also City of Dublin where the children were born,  and where she came from.  I am unsure who completed the form. Patrick is said to read only, yet has 'signed' it ie not a X mark or 'pp'

Soooo I think this Portown or Postown may  not be in city of Dublin or Co Kildare.  Or it may be Porterstown.