Author Topic: James Clark help  (Read 606 times)

Offline martzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Clark help
« on: Friday 09 August 19 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi All I wonder if anyone may be able to help me please?
I am looking for James Clarke my Gt Gt Grandfather born around 1813-1816 possibly in Shoreditch, his father's name was Joshua, mother Martha Brooks who married about 1800
I have a 1841 and 1851 census record for James and his wife Maria and also their marriage but can find no birth record at all
James' occupation was a butcher and Joshua's a sawyer
Would be very grateful if anyone is able to shed some light on this 
Thank you in advance

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: James Clark help
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 August 19 14:25 BST (UK) »
Subject header shows surname Clark but your post shows Clarke

There are no birth records as such for that period - you are dependant on finding a baptismal record in parish registers.   His fathers name is from his 1838 marriage cert and one if the witnesses was Martha Clark. 

He married as Clark in Bethnal Green and 1851 shows that as his birthplace - where does Shoreditch feature?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 August 19 14:34 BST (UK) »
Bearing in mind that not all baptisms are yet online, the search may be tricky.

The only candidate I can see on FamilySearch is:
James Waters CLARK, baptised 11 June 1815 St Michaels, Bishop Stortford, Herts - parents Joshua and Martha.

There are a few children of Joshua and Martha CLARK born between c1803 and 1820 baptised in St Leonards Shoreditch, but no listing for James.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 August 19 15:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies I said Shoreditch because I have found 3 other children of Joshua and Martha a Mary Matilda, Henry and William all born there. My maiden name was Clarke with the "e" but seems that was added some years later.
I have seen the James Waters Clark birth but do not think it is my James

Offline Novak20

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 August 19 16:38 BST (UK) »
There are some relevant entries in the settlement examination collection -- here is the one for Martha (Bethnal Green 21 Aug 1848):

13 White Bear Gardens aged 70 w[ife] of Joshua Clark deceased 15 years as to her son James Clark, see his wife’s examination fo. 264.
Married at St Mary Aldermanbury about 50 years (no cert) maiden surname Brooks
Hath by him 4 children: John 40, Mary 39, James 36, Henry 34, Daniel 32.
Husband rented a house in a court of 2 houses in Old Nichol St at 4/- a week when John was born & held same above a year & then moved to No 1 Hudson’s Court opposite Bazin House Kingsland Road at 4/- a week & held same 20 years & 3 months. Mr Day [?] landlord for several years & never etc.

There appear to be a few closely related Clark families in this area of Shoreditch from the 1830s. I'm related to a Henry Clark born around 1820, married Caroline Paget in 1844, father *John* a sawyer. His addresses include 21, 11 or 12 White Bear Gardens, Harris' Buildings, then 2 Mail Coach Yard from the early 1850s.

Interestingly, this Henry is the witness for Martha's death even though he does not appear to be her son (Death certificate 4 Jul 1854: Martha Clarke, female, 77 years, widow of Joshua Clarke sawyer, phthisis 1 year, the mark of Henry Clarke present at the death 2 Mail Coach Yard Kingsland Road Shoreditch)

It's plausible that this Henry is the son of Martha and Joshua and his marriage certificate mixed up 'John' and 'Joshua'. If so, he would be the brother of your James. However, I have not been able to trace back further than Henry with any certainty.

There are other Clarkes at 1 and 8 White Bear Gardens and in Harris' Buildings (which was adjacent). It's very complicated so proceed with extreme caution!

best,
Mike
Johnson, Thacker, Clarke, Cawthorn, Scott, Sharpe, Jordan.

Offline martzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 August 19 23:11 BST (UK) »
Novak20 Thank you so very much That is great I have never heard of the settlement examination collection where do I find it?? I wonder if you have had your DNA done? It would be amazing if we are connected. I have a connection with a descendant of Daniel living in Adelaide Australia, Daniel was transported as a convict if you would like any further info on that I may be able to help you Once again Thank you so much 

Offline martzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike just thought I would say hello again I haven't been doing hardly any research for a while now as life just got in the way, however I am keen to get back to it now and I would love to know if you have had any further success with the Clarke line
Cheers Jill