Author Topic: missing 2nd great grandad  (Read 1570 times)

Offline madpips

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
missing 2nd great grandad
« on: Friday 09 August 19 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi i'm trying to find out what happened to James Cosby 1873-1937 born Longton Stoke on trent. He married Mary Lizzie Ball in 1901 at St James Longton, they went on to have 4 children Annie 1902-1902, Doris 1903 -1992, Harry 1905 and May 1907-1988. Mary died in 1910 and the children are on the 1911 census living with their Aunt and family and also Grandmother. Here's a puzzle on this census there is also an Henry Clowes age 44 married with 2 children,(wife not on here), now Harry's full name is Clowes Cosby, i can't fine any other records for this Henry. Also when May marries in 1931 she uses the name Clowes not Cosby, as she does when her daughter is born. James pops up again with a death in 1937. If anyone can unravel this mystery i would be very grateful thanks
Redman-Kent/Staffs. Hibell- Worcestershire/Herefordshire/Staffs. Ible-Gloucestershire/Herefordshire. Barnes-Staffs. Berrisford-Staffs/Derbyshire. Fowell- Staffs/Cheadle. Salt-Derbyshire/Staffs/Cheadle. Morris- Staffs/Cheadle. Oakley-Staffs. Smallwood-Staffs. Powell-Staffs. Perry-Staffs. Snow-Derbyshire. Leaver-Kent. Seckerson Staffs. Moore-Staffs/Cheshire. Masterson- Staffs/ Liverpool/Ireland. Obrien-Ireland. Davies-Flintshire. Huggins-Gloucestershire. Dixon-Bradley-Howland-Cornelius-Callis/Kent

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: missing 2nd great grandad
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 August 19 16:03 BST (UK) »
Was Mary Lizzie Ball a spinster or a widow when she married?  Do you know her parents names?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 August 19 16:11 BST (UK) »
I can find births for 3 of the children (not May) with mothers maiden name as Ball so I guess she was.

Maybe her own mothers name was Clowes so she gave her son that middle name to carry it on.

Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 August 19 16:14 BST (UK) »

Here's a puzzle on this census there is also an Henry Clowes age 44 married with 2 children,(wife not on here),

What place of birth does he have?
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline madpips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 August 19 16:46 BST (UK) »
I have a birth for May 6b 298 her Mother's name won't be on it as that came later in about 1911 Her Mother's name was Anne Lavinia (she was known by Lavinia on other census) Holmes, and her Grandmother was a Lavinia Barnes. It's says Mary Lizzie Ball and James Cosby on the marriage record, june quarter 1901 6b 324. Henry Clowes was born in Hartshill Stoke on Trent. There must be some connection but just can't find it . Thanks to all who have replied.
Redman-Kent/Staffs. Hibell- Worcestershire/Herefordshire/Staffs. Ible-Gloucestershire/Herefordshire. Barnes-Staffs. Berrisford-Staffs/Derbyshire. Fowell- Staffs/Cheadle. Salt-Derbyshire/Staffs/Cheadle. Morris- Staffs/Cheadle. Oakley-Staffs. Smallwood-Staffs. Powell-Staffs. Perry-Staffs. Snow-Derbyshire. Leaver-Kent. Seckerson Staffs. Moore-Staffs/Cheshire. Masterson- Staffs/ Liverpool/Ireland. Obrien-Ireland. Davies-Flintshire. Huggins-Gloucestershire. Dixon-Bradley-Howland-Cornelius-Callis/Kent

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 August 19 16:59 BST (UK) »
Are you looking for Henry Clowes too? Could this be him?

1881 2746/95/51

Henry Clowes 15 yrs Potter’s Turner b Stoke with parents James, Eliza and siblings.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 August 19 17:02 BST (UK) »
Confirmed that May CLEWES 1907 has mmn BALL.

It's a pity James couldn't have lived another two years really. The time between 1911 and 1939 is so empty at the moment, at least until the 1921 comes out.

My great grandmother had four sons by her husband before running off with the lodger. Her fifth child,  presumably born around 9 months later, and who grew up to become my grandfather, has a birth cert (and surname to match) claiming that the lodger was his father. DNA and resemblance from photographs has shown her husband was the biological father. Maybe Henry CLEWES was the biological father of May if the marriage to James had failed, with or without an official divorce?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 August 19 17:15 BST (UK) »
I have a birth for May 6b 298 her Mother's name won't be on it as that came later in about 1911

You can see mmn on the birth registration index prior to 1911 on the GRO website (or in some cases FindMyPast)
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/menu.asp
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 August 19 17:31 BST (UK) »
Do you have James’ death certificate?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk