Author Topic: Henry, John and William hadley help!  (Read 6159 times)

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry, John and William hadley help!
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 10 August 19 18:00 BST (UK) »
John Hadley bn c1833 Rowley Regis, Staffordshire was living with his mother Jane Beard in 1851.

In 1861 He was with his wife Martha RG09/ Piece   2092 f109 p5.  Also with them was a daughter Mary E Hadley 11 months and a William Beard age 41.  John's occupation was Shoe maker

1871 He is still married to Martha  RG10/3050 f128 p21.  They have 3 children and William Beard is still living with them.

1891 as you say he is staying with Mary - still a shoe maker. He is married, his wife Martha is entered elsewhere on this census (a servant)
-------

I think that the John Hadley born Cradley, Worcestershire with parents John & Jane was an apprentice Spade Maker in 1851 .Piece 2033 f524 p54

Yeah that's the info I had before seeing this as spade maker stood out.  I've a couple options re John hadley 1801-1833.  In the last quarter - 1800 November is a listing for John with parents Benjamin and Mary in Rowley Regis.  Thomas & Mary in Dudley Oct 1801 had a son John. 

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 10 August 19 18:29 BST (UK) »
And just wish to say thanks to everyone for finding out info for me.  Means a lot ❤️

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 10 August 19 19:22 BST (UK) »
Just to complete things
The Lucy BEARD with Joseph and Jane Beard etc in 1861 is

BEARD, LUCY       GREENFIELD 
GRO Reference: 1850  S Quarter in WORCESTER UNION  Volume 18  Page 553

I wonder what happened to James Penn that they completely ditched his surname.
No idea, perhaps he wasn't a good husband or dad.  :(

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 10 August 19 21:05 BST (UK) »
There were two John deaths, per Rosie’s earlier reply

There were two burials in Rowley Regis for a John Hadley
23 Mar 1833 age 32
24 Aug 1832 age 76.

The marriage to James Penn was December 1833.

Jane    Hadley
James Penn
Marriage    29 Dec 1833
Marriage place   Kingswinford, Staffordshire

The first husband John was a widower at marriage to Jane.

Could just as easily have been the older man.
No idea how you would differentiate them though. But six months between the death and marriage does seem a short period of time. Although of course I think there were very practical reasons for fast remarriage.

Of course, now it doesn’t matter. You have to figure out who James PENN the Blacksmith  (1785 - 1841) was instead 😀😀

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 11 August 19 02:22 BST (UK) »
There were two John deaths, per Rosie’s earlier reply

There were two burials in Rowley Regis for a John Hadley
23 Mar 1833 age 32
24 Aug 1832 age 76.

The marriage to James Penn was December 1833.

Jane    Hadley
James Penn
Marriage    29 Dec 1833
Marriage place   Kingswinford, Staffordshire

The first husband John was a widower at marriage to Jane.

Could just as easily have been the older man.
No idea how you would differentiate them though. But six months between the death and marriage does seem a short period of time. Although of course I think there were very practical reasons for fast remarriage.

Of course, now it doesn’t matter. You have to figure out who James PENN the Blacksmith  (1785 - 1841) was instead

Well I thought I had figured out that Johns parents are Benjamin Hadley and Mary - unknown surname as now.  BUT!!

John hadley the son of John snr. was born 02 Jun 1834 and was baptised in June also.  John hadley is down as his dad, not James Penn. 

So John Snr must have died later than 1833???  Or Jane decided to put John down as the dad instead of James as neither of the two burial dates given fit with jane being pregnant with John's child.

There's also two daughters Ann and Mary Hadley from Jane and John's marriage. 

Jane married Joseph Beard in 1844

On the 1851 census:
Husband Joseph Beard (54, Cordwainer)
Jane (43), Born Dudley (AUDLEY mistranscibed)
Joseph's children from a previous marriage to an Eliza??
William (31, Cordwainer)
Thomas (15)
Richard (12, Errand boy)

Then Joseph and Jane's children
Jane (2) & Lucy (9 Months)

The other children must be from James penn
Mary (19, Shoe binder)
John (17, Cordwainer)
Elizabeth (15)
Henry (14, Apprentice to Cordwainer) Patience (11)

Jane  married John on 17th Feb 1831.  Jane remarried to James pen 29 Dec 1833.  married Joseph Beard 27 Jul 1844

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 11 August 19 02:30 BST (UK) »
see Rosie's replies #16 & #33

It is possible that the John Hadley age 17 was baptised 14 Jul 1833 at Rowley Regis parents John (deceased) and Jane.

I think that the John Hadley born Cradley, Worcestershire with parents John & Jane was an apprentice Spade Maker in 1851 .Piece 2033 f524 p54

ie the John in the Navy is not John son of John and Jane nee Greenfield who was a shoemaker not a spade maker

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 11 August 19 10:53 BST (UK) »
John Hadley (Widower) married Jane Greenfield (spinster) 17 February 1831 at St Bartholomew, Edgbaston, Warwickshire.  Witnesses Hannah Batten & James Batten.

In 1841 Living Dudley
Jane (Penn) had the following 'Hadley' children with her
Ann Hadley 11
Mary Hadley 9
John Hadley 7
None of children were born in County.

Baptisms at Rowley Regis - parents John & Jane Hadley
Marys baptism on 18 Dec 1831 gives her birth place as Titford Bridge -fathers occ Victualler

Johns baptism on 14 Jul 1833 gives place of birth as Portway -Father John (deceased)

It is possible that Ann was either born to Johns first wife or before Janes marriage to John.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 11 August 19 14:23 BST (UK) »
John Hadley (Widower) married Jane Greenfield (spinster) 17 February 1831 at St Bartholomew, Edgbaston, Warwickshire.  Witnesses Hannah Batten & James Batten.

In 1841 Living Dudley
Ann Hadley 11
Mary Hadley 9
John Hadley 7

Marys baptism on 18 Dec 1831 gives her birth place as Titford Bridge -fathers occ Victualler

Johns baptism on 14 Jul 1833 gives place of birth as Portway -Father John (deceased)

It is possible that Ann was either born to Johns first wife or before Janes marriage to John.

This is a great summary thank you.  This family has my head spinning lol I believe Johns parents are Benjamin and Mary.  So Mary John's daughter was baptised in the UK. John junior I'd not even noticed the portway link!!   There is an entry for a Ann Hadley 1828, Halesowen, and that is to a john hadley and Ann.  But unsure if this has any connection. Thanks for all your hard work

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 11 August 19 14:30 BST (UK) »

In 1841 Living Dudley
Ann Hadley 11
Mary Hadley 9
John Hadley 7

This is a great summary thank you.  This family has my head spinning lol I believe Johns parents are Benjamin and Mary.  So Mary John's daughter was baptised in the UK. John junior I'd not even noticed the portway link!!   There is an entry for a Ann Hadley 1828, Halesowen, and that is to a john hadley and Ann.  But unsure if this has any connection. Thanks for all your hard work

The christening you found for John in 1833 would fit with John snr dying that year. 

I had this entry  Birth Date2 Jun 1834 Birth Place Cradley, Worcestershire, England which is why I queried John being John seniors son.