Author Topic: Minney Marriage 1845 in Houghton  (Read 864 times)

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Minney Marriage 1845 in Houghton
« on: Friday 09 August 19 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
If anyone has access to Houghton marriage registers for 1845, could they do a quick lookop for me please?

I need details about a marriage 6 Dec 1845 between Sarah Minney and John Clark(e), as I found the marriage on Ancestry and FindMyPast but they did not have any pictures.

The details they gave were that the fathers were Thomas Minney and David Clarke, the bride was resident at Wyton and the groom at Houghton - but I need ages and conditions please, and the witnesses please?
Many thanks
Helen

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Minney Marriage 1845 in Houghton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 August 19 03:02 BST (UK) »
FreeReg has this marriage.

Groom - full age, bachelor, labourer, Houghton.
Bride - full age, spinster, Wyton.
Fathers both labourers.
Witnesses Edith THODY and Samuel SAUNDERS.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 August 19 14:31 BST (UK) »
Cant find a Bapt for Sarah but there are these on FreeREG;

SARAH Minney Buried 10 Feb 1827 All Saints, Wyton age 38 (1789)
THOMAS Minnie Buried Wyton 18 Jul 1858 age 72 (1786)

1851 Census has a THOMAS Minney born c 1787 Staughton Moor, Bedfordshire, living in Witton, Hunts.
Occp Ag Lab
He died 1858 reg as Minnie

1841 Census
Witton, Hunts
Thomas Minney, 40
Mary Minney, 20

Age really out if him in 1851

MARY Minney married William JOHNSON 25 Dec 1844 Wyton, Father THOMAS a Labourer

I would say that Sarah Minney was the Wife of Thomas and Mother of Sarah.

Back soon :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 August 19 14:39 BST (UK) »
Marriage;
27 February 1821
Cople, Bedford
Thomas MINNEY to Sarah GOODSHIP
(F/S.Org)

Bapt Cople, Beds, 12 AUG 1821, JOHN, Son of Thomas/Sarah
(F/S.Org)

JOHN Minney married 12 Oct 1843 Alconbury cum Weston, Father THOMAS a Labourer
(FreeREG)
On Census John is born 1822 Cople, Beds or Hunts
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 August 19 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi folks
thanks for that, I confess that I didn't bother with FreeReg for Sarah as I tried for the other members and didn't find them so thought Sarah wouldn't be in there either - just goes to show!

My interest in Sarah is that her sister Mary married the brother (William Johnson) of my great-grandfather Edward Johnson.

As Thomas Minney of Wyton says that he was born Staughton Moor I believe him to be the same man as the Thomas Minney who was examined at Roxton in 1808 for settlement. This Thomas claimed to be the son of Spenser and born about 1787 at Staplow  in the parish of Eaton Socon. The parish of Wyton is referred to as a place of employment for him. He is also alleged to be the father of a 'bastard begotten on the body of Sarah Bull'. Apparently he wed her on the Friday prior to the examination. (Staploe was a hamlet of Eaton Socon and was made into a parish in 1965. Staploe is adjacent to Staughton Moor.)

This Thomas would have wed Sarah Bull 25 Nov 1808, so he closely fits Thomas of Wyton who left a will in 1858 which names his children in America (George and sister Sarah Clark) and the three children of his deceased son Joseph (Judith, George and Jane).

Unfortunately, the children of Thomas Minney and Sarah Bull have not yet been found in baptism registers, except for what appears to be a late baptism for Mary Minney in 1834, after her mother was buried in 1827 but before her father died in 1858.

So I was looking at the marriages to see if any ages were mentioned and I could get an idea of the order of birth but I have lucked out. Joseph married in 1834, George in 1836, Sarah in 1845 and Mary in 1844, but now I know that the two that were asked ages only said "full age"! Not very helpful!

Bedfordshire seems to be a concentration of Minney families so there will probably be several unrelated lines there and as Thomas Minney of Cople, who married Sarah Goodship, was born in 1802 (he is another of my lines!), I doubt that he is related.

Thanks for your help but unfortunately this seems to be a dead end
Helen